The freshman fifteen: How to avoid the seemingly inevitable weight gain

by Andrea Stevenson

“Fat bar” is one of the greatest things about Convo. Students crowd around the corner while looking at all of the different freshly made deserts to choose from.

One usually starts by the ice cream freezer to see what flavors are offered that day, then they slowly make it over to the jello, pudding, and pie cabinet, which is adjacent to the cookie cabinet, complete with various cookies and rice krispie treats.

Next to the cookie cabinet sits a soft serve ice cream machine, which offers vanilla and chocolate, alongside a topping bar. A freezer filled with ice cream popsicles, push up popsicles and individual sherbet cups follow next.

With all-you-can-eat cafeterias such as Convo and Eagles Nest, it makes it harder to eat healthy.

Although campus cafeterias offer healthy choices, it never seems to taste as good as the junk food.

Eating late snacks or even dinner easily adds unwanted weight.

An easy way to avoid gaining weight would be to keep all junk food out of the dorm room; it seems impossible, but it’s actually not. Eliminating junk food in the dorm room eliminates the want to eat the unhealthy food.

Sophomore Dana Vesely said, “I thought it was going to be hard trying to stay in shape and eat healthy, but I tried my hardest and it seemed to be successful.”

The dreadful freshman fifteen is something frequent incoming college freshman face.

Along with adjusting to time management, responsibility, new friends, dorm life, and the amount of work that is put into every course, freshmen have a tough time with managing their weight.

Sophomore Danyelle Kupfer stated, “ I gained the freshman fifteen because I really enjoy fat bar at convo, and I don’t work out as often as I used to.”

Along with the obvious weight gained caused from food, college offers another way to add to the freshman fifteen.

Alcohol plays a role in the college life. Once students are away from home, they are more tempted to take part in underage drinking.

Not only is drinking illegal unless you’re twenty-one years or older, it adds weight that could easily be prevented.

The simplest way to avoid freshman fifteen is to completely avoid underage drinking.

Ashland University has a very nice recreational center that students should take advantage of.

The Rec offers different activities such as racquetball, basketball, swimming, work out machines, ping-pong tables, pool tables, a golf simulator, sauna, rock wall, volleyball, soccer and bike rentals.

“I gained the freshman fifteen because I was sick a lot and ate unhealthy, and avoided the gym,” sophomore Marin Haba said.

Tuffy’s located in the Rec, always offers healthy snacks and beverages.

A nice cold refreshing smoothie or protein shake hits the spot after a rough workout.

Various incoming freshmen students might be able to use the weight because they are underweight, others may not be so lucky.

Eating healthy at college helps now, and in the long run.

“I actually lost weight due to the fact of constantly working out and playing Quidditch,” sophomore Andrew Keim said.

Avoid midnight snacks and, when walking to class and passing vending machines, resist the urge to grab money out of your pocket.

Remember every little snack adds to the possibility to be a member of the “freshmen fifteen” club.