Jaywalking remains a problem on campus

By Teresa Williams

As the new school year begins, Safety Services is warning people to avoid jaywalking. Although many individuals jaywalk out of convenience, it presents serious dangers to both motorists and the AU community.

The primary area of concern is Claremont Avenue, mainly because of the high volume of traffic, as well as the speed of the vehicles traveling along this road.

Specifically, people often jaywalk under the footbridge on Claremont Ave. rather than walking to the crosswalks further down the street. These pedestrians typically are heading to and from Convo, the nearby dorms, the athletic buildings or the Rec Center.

However, walking under the footbridge presents hazards to drivers. Motorists have lower visibility in this area and cannot always see people in the shadows of the footbridge. As a result, drivers may be unable to stop quickly enough for jaywalkers and a collision could occur.

Besides Claremont, additional areas of concern include College Ave. and the other streets near campus.

To reduce these dangers, Director of Safety Services Dave McLaughlin said that the AU community should avoid jaywalking and use the crosswalks when crossing the street. In essence, they should rely on common sense and take extra precautions to ensure their safety.

“Be cautious about stepping out in traffic,” McLaughlin said. “Don’t assume a car will stop even if you’re in the walkway.”

People should also be on the lookout for careless drivers before crossing the road.

“Keep an eye on traffic because sometimes cars will run the red light,” McLaughlin said.

McLaughlin said that the Ashland Police Department has cited students in the past and they may begin citing people once again this year.

People must keep in mind the potential consequences of their actions. The price of a ticket could be costly for a college student’s low budget as well.

McLaughlin indicated that the problem of jaywalking persists from year to year and he has received calls from community members about college students walking out in front of them, especially on Claremont Ave.

Although it may be more convenient to jaywalk, pedestrians should follow the rules of the road and not sacrifice their safety.