Graduation applications now available online

By Corinne Doubek

Graduation applications for students wishing to complete their career at Ashland University at the beginning of May, are due very soon: Nov. 1. Luckily for seniors, the process has gotten a whole lot quicker and easier.

This year marks the first of many to come of applications being online. Instead of having to print off the paperwork and then hand-deliver it to the Registrar’s Office, seniors can now visit their WebAdvisor home page and check the “Application for graduation” link in order to apply.

Registrar Kathy Hall and her staff have worked diligently to push the applications from a paper process into an online one. The only reason that this new process is just now taking effect is not having the resources. Once Hall found a way to place the application online, it was only a matter of time before it came to life.

“I want to use as much technology as possible for the students’ sake,” she said. “It makes things much easier for them and for us as a staff.”

For the seniors, this online graduation application will make things much easier. First, the link is open 24/7 and can be used at any site: home, other AU branches or right on campus. Also, not having to personally run any paperwork to Founder’s Hall will save time.

AU staff will also see a tremendous amount of pressure lifted from the transfer of processes to the online world. For example, the billing will all be online through the AU accounts instead of having to run individual credit cards. The registrar’s office can also find all their necessary information already in the system once the application is filled out.

There will also be a second part to the application; once it is filled out, an automatic email will be sent to the student to fill out a survey asking for their information regarding cap and gown size and diploma requests.

The $75 fee still applies to these applications and will cover costs for cap and gown, diploma and diploma cover and ceremony fees. If a senior submits their application after Nov. 1, there will be an additional $25 fee.

According to Hall, most students are enjoying the new online process. So far, it has been running smoothly.

“In general we are very excited about it,” Hall said.