Career Services Center here to help you out

By Teresa Williams

Students have several opportunities to explore their careers and perfect their networking skills through the numerous events that the Career Services Center is offering in October.

One of these events includes the Graduate School Fair-a-Van on October 4. The fair will be held in Upper Convo and last from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Nearly 40 different graduate school programs will be represented at this event. These programs are at schools from across the state and cater to a wide variety of majors and areas of study. A complete listing of schools is available on the Career Services Center webpage, which is linked off of the main AU website.

Not only seniors but also underclassmen are encouraged to visit the fair if they have any interest in pursuing graduate school after graduation.

“It’s really valuable for students of all levels to attend,” Career Services Center Executive Director Karen Hagans said.

At the event, they can build confidence by introducing and talking with school representatives. They could also find out more information about certain schools and the programs they offer. After discovering schools that interest them, underclassmen could look at the program requirements and develop a plan for how to best prepare themselves for this school while still in college.

For upperclassmen, the fair provides a valuable opportunity for them to meet with representatives from different schools. They can better understand their options and begin to network with individuals from schools that they may attend after graudation.

People interested in this event are encouraged to preregister, but it is not required. All students should have received an email recently detailing how to preregister online. If students have any questions, they can stop in or contact the Career Services Center.

In addition to the Graduate School Fair-a-Van, the Career Services Center is also holding a “Develop Your Brand Panel Discussion” in conjunction with the AU chapter of the National Society of Minorities in Hospitality (NSMH). This event is scheduled for October 17 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Ridenour Room.

At the event, a panel will discuss what employers look for while hiring. Students also have the opportunity to meet and network with representatives from companies including Smuckers, Westfield, Bob Evans, Nordstrom, Ecolab and the Cleveland Indians. All individuals are encouraged to attend to discover more about possible internship and job opportunities.

Another event entails the Resume Blitz on October 25. On this day, the Career Services Center will have resume workshops every hour on the hour from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Students from all majors can come to receive tips about how to prefect their resumes before sending them to employers.

Likewise, a job fair preparation workshop will be held on October 29 from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the Career Services Center. This workshop is a few weeks before the AU Fall Career Fair in November.

“Students won’t go in unprepared,” Career Services Center Career Specialist Dave Kokandy said.

In essence, students can gain advice about what to expect and how to conduct themselves while approaching prospective employers at the job fair.