‘Set Your Goals’ for motivation

By Brian Young

Motivation is hard to come by nowadays for some students. With their tightly packed schedules, it is hard to find time and inspiration to devote some time to their physical well-being.

Recreational Services has offered a solution to this problem; they have created a workout program designed by participants themselves that allows them the freedom to work out when they choose, as well as provide the extra “push” that they need to keep at it.

This program, called “Set Your Goals,” was created by wellness intern Jacob Ewing and provides incentives for participants to meet weekly work out goals.

“We’re really trying to stress consistency,” Ewing said, “The way [this program] is set-up is that you have to do a certain amount of workouts each week.”

With options of two, three, four or five days per week, students have some flexibility in what they want to get out of the program. Students must then complete these workouts each week to meet their objective.

“The goal for the ‘Set Your Goals’ program is that each individual person gets to decide how many days a week they work out,” Ewing said. “The intent was for people to determine for their own life how much they can get in.”

This flexibility certainly allows students to find time in their busy schedules to come to the Rec Center for a workout session at their own pace.

Participants are also given the option of choosing what kind of workout they want to do.

“The workouts are spread throughout the entire Rec Center facility,” Ewing said. “I like to provide people the freedom to workout however they want.”

This includes all of the features that the Rec Center has to offer, including running, weight training, rock climbing and swimming. As long as it happens within the Rec Center, it counts towards the workout goals.

The only stipulation is that the workouts must be at least 45 minutes long.

If participants are able to complete their goals, they will be given prizes for their achievements. These prizes include t-shirts, water bottles and the chance to be entered to win a special prize pack.

These incentives are what the program offers up as motivation to keep working towards each participant’s goals.

“I decided to try the program… because I thought it would be a little extra incentive to stay committed to working out,” senior Anthony Myer said. “The program definitely keeps me motivated because I have goals to strive for.”

Although this semester’s program is already well under way, all is not lost if you aren’t signed up.

“We will definitely have one next semester,” Ewing said. “We already have plans for that.”