Start your Internship search early

By Dan Griffin

Junior marketing major Christy Fox eventually found an internship through Herb Gillen Agency in Columbus, Ohio, but it took many applications and an unexpected resource to finally secure a position.

“I found the internship through the Columbus Internships twitter page where the job opportunity was tweeted,” she said. “I gave an email address… reached out that way, sent my résumé, and got an interview.”

The time to find an internship is now. Many employers are done hiring before the holiday season, and if you aren’t careful, you might miss out on some amazing opportunities.

Many students don’t realize that internship searching can be a long and exhausting process, and there is no “right way” to find one. However, the most important and commonly advised factor to finding a solid internship is to start your search early.

Fox was still searching for an internship in late spring semester, but advises any student who is struggling to find an internship to continuously apply no matter how late in the year it is.

“I encourage students to continue to apply for internships, especially early,” she said. “In addition, it is important to go to career fairs and networking events because you never know what sort of opportunity could come up.”

Senior accounting major Katie McVay used Career Services early fall semester and had little trouble finding an internship for summer 2012.

“I did not struggle to find an internship,” she said. “… Because I was fortunate to have a career event that only brought in accounting employers to speak with accounting majors.”

McVay attended Meet the Accountant Night and later interned at the Ohio Auditor of State’s office. She advises all students to really think about what exactly you want out of your internship experience.

“Just remember that what you put into the internship is what you will get out of it,” she said. “Utilize the Career Services Center because they will be able to help you take the appropriate steps to obtain that dream internship.”

Senior finance major Mark Scott Jr. interned at Westfield Insurance and felt very prepared going into the interview process after doing extensive research on the company.

“I did a lot of research on Westfield before applying,” he said. “One of the reasons I didn’t struggle to find this position was that I let the company know that I was very interested early on in my search for an internship.”

Scott encourages all students to use Career Services if they are having any trouble in their search.

“Stop by Career Services and explain what type of internship [you] are trying to obtain,” he said. “After letting Career Services know the dilemma, they will be able to assist and inform you of many options that you are most likely not familiar with.”

Scott applied for a full time position at Westfield Insurance this past week.

Career Assistants are available for walk-ins at the CSC Mon. through Fri. from noon to 5 p.m.