Convo now open for late night hours: students respond well

By Chelsi Howman

The sound of music blasting and the aroma of grilling burgers are instantaneous as you open the doors to Convo’s new late night dining. The new hours are 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. for breakfast and lunch with the dining hall then closing from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and reopening for dinner from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. The dining hall opens again Sunday through Thursday from 10 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. for late night dining. But why is AU introducing late night?

“We’re pretty dead in here from two to four…We wanted to add value to what we’re doing,” stated General Manager of Dining Operations, Fred Geib. “It’s all you can eat and I’m pretty sure it’s faster than what you would get at Eagle’s Nest.”

Many students seem to agree with Mr. Geib.

“You get a lot more food here than at the nest for only one swipe,” said AU late night diner Cliff Lane.

“I can eat as much as I want here and it’s only one swipe,” freshman Steve Nagy said.

The fact that late night dining only costs one swipe seems to be the common factor in determining people’s intent to attend late night.

However, some students had other opinions.

“I like to hang out with all of my friends,” said freshman Maxwell Shawver III.

According to chef Jonathan Paskins, the new late night dining hours seem to be producing steady numbers. Since its opening on January 14, 2013, late night has continuously had over 100 students per night.

“It’s encouraging,” he said.

Nearly everyone dining in Convo is eating and chatting with fellow students.

“Convo is a social thing,” remarked Geib. Late night dining is providing the AU community with another opportunity to dine and socialize, both activities being greatly enjoyed by the students here at Ashland University.

But updating Convo hours is not the only change that the dining services seem to be implementing. Students are now able to use meal swipes at sporting event concession stands in Kates gymnasium and at Jack Miller Stadium. Also, guests are able to be swiped in on the 160 block meal plan.

Dining services are currently running a six week trial period for late night. Mr. Geib said he is seeking feedback.

“We can’t have a huge menu, but we want to have the right things,” he said.

So next time you are craving a late night snack, grab a friend and head to late night dining in Convo.