Kids-n-Sibs weekend packed with events

By Teresa Williams

With the theme “Tuffy in the Tides,” the annual Kids-n-Sibs Weekend will kick off this Friday. A multitude of activities will be offered throughout the weekend for participants.

On Friday, one of the main attractions is the extreme juggler “Mad Chad Taylor.”

Students and their guests can also participate in the Amstutz Hall Council “Under the Sea” activity or the Student Senate Residence Life Committee Sand Art event.

Additionally, the musical the “Little Shop of Horrors” will be performed by the Theater Department in the evening.

The excitement continues on Saturday morning with various events sponsored by several student organizations. There will be a Kids-n-Sibs baking class as well as a Council for Exceptional Children Club Puppet Pals event.

Another option is the Young Democrats and Young Republicans “Great American History Game Show.”

Individuals could also visit the bookstore Saturday for Presidents’ Day Story Time.

In addition, the MMA Math Club is sponsoring origami making and Habitat for Humanity will be holding an “Edible House Build.”

The festivities continue in the afternoon with several scheduled events.

These include a Kidz Cardio class, Kem Hall Council bracelet making, Hands on Science activities in Kettering and FCS Club cookie decorating and crafts.

Other options entail video games and board games in Clayton Hall, a cornhole tournament, Alpha Phi face painting and the Phi Kappa Psi Fun Fest.

On Saturday evening, students and their guests can participate in the Delta Zeta Knockout Tournament, watch the Quidditch match, go to Movie Night in Clark Hall or see the musical.

They could also attend the special Dive-In Movie “Finding Nemo” at the Rec Center.

Before the movie, there will be a Panhellenic/Interfraternity Council kids splash contest as well as carnival games organized by the Swimming Club.

Kids-n-Sibs Weekend concludes on Sunday with a crafting session sponsored by Community Care and a performance of the musical in the afternoon.

Junior Victorialyn Keay serves as the Student Senate Executive Officer of Residence Life and helped organize this year’s Kids-n-Sibs Weekend.

She said that preparations began at the beginning of the year. These included deciding on a theme, designing the t-shirts, placing t-shirt orders and coordinating the registration and activities.

“With all of these exciting events and participating groups, I hope to see a large turn-out over the course of the weekend,” Keay said. “Kids N’ Sibs Weekend is a time to share your college experience with your siblings and with your friends while also providing campus organizations an opportunity to get involved with the student body as a whole, and to market themselves.”

Keay encouraged everyone to take advantage of all the attractions offered.

“If you haven’t done so already, invite your siblings and friends to come spend the weekend with you in Ashland,” Keay said. “Even if you don’t bring a guest to campus, all students are invited to come out and join in the fun.”