Insightful play to be performed at AU

By Kate Brickner

The Vagina Monologues is about to hit the AU stage, already meeting both anticipation and speculation from students and faculty alike. The play, written by Eve Ensler, consists of ten monologues based on the interviews of over 200 real women.

Called “…a play to bring about awareness of women” by junior Hilary Reinheimer, the aptly named play focuses on the female composition, which director and chair of the drama department Teresa Durbin-Ames wants to de-stigmatize.

“It is like any other part of the human anatomy,” she said.

But more than that, she wants the audience to take away an important message.

“I think [The Vagina Monologues] is empowering. Over and over [in the play] you hear repetitive language such as ‘I realized,’ ‘I understand’, and ‘part of my identity,’” Durbin-Ames said.

Although the performance will tend to resonate with women, the professor stressed the equal importance of male presence in the audience.

“Men who have women they care about – their mother, sister, and even twenty years down the line, a daughter – this will help them understand them better,” she said.

Adding to that sentiment, Reinheimer opened up about the controversially-named production.

“Most of the plays we have done, at least while I have been here, have been for entertainment and…I think this play does something different,” she said.

Another distinction between this performance and regular AU productions is that it is a charity function.

The production, not part of the seasonal drama department performances, is a benefit performance, and instead of taking money for tickets, donations are being requested to go to the “Rape Crisis Domestic Violence Safe Haven” in Ashland.

According to Durbin-Ames, cash donations as well as cleaning and personal care items are welcome.

According to Durbin-Ames, this is not the first time the Vagina Monologues will be performed here. The Vagina Monologues has been part of AU’s history, performed in the 2002-2003 school year, and plans of future performances are already in the works.

The option of putting on the performance once every two years is being looked at as a very real possibility.

It is also hoped that new female faces will be seen performing as the years go on.

“Hopefully after we have gotten the initial play done and people have come to see how wonderful of a show it is, there will be more interest in it for the next time we bring it about,” Reinheimer said.

It seems to be the desire of Durbin-Ames to make the charity production an AU tradition as well.

As she explained, The Vagina Monologues, as well as every other production on campus, has open auditions and anyone inspired or interested can try out.

Reinheimer is also hoping an interest will attract women for future roles.

“We always encourage people from outside of the theatre department to audition for our shows no matter what they are,” she said. “We were hoping that for this show we could have a variety of women from all over campus, different nationalities, ages, and looks.”

The play, receiving controversial reactions, has a simple message, not a biased agenda.

“[I want]the audience to walk out of the Recital Hall with knowledge,” Reinheimer said. “I want the men to have a greater appreciation and the women to realize just how strong we are, to realize that we have a voice, that we do not need to be ashamed.”

The benefit show, playing Saturday, February 9 at 7:30 p.m. in the Elizabeth Pastor Recital Hall, features students Rebecca Ribley, Natalyn Baisden and Hilary Rheinheimer.

Tickets to the show, although free, need to be reserved in advance to guarantee a seat.

If you miss your opportunity to get a ticket, the possibility of a 9:30 show has been mentioned, but not confirmed.

Contact the Ashland University Box Office to reserve your tickets and inquire about the second performance.