Surviving all-nighters

By Zack Lemon

The bitter yet refreshing smell of coffee lingers in the air. Empty green Mountain Dew bottles are strewn across the table, next to the half-eaten Nacho BellGrande and a crumpled up taco wrapper. A pitiful student is lying in a dazed and confused state next to a dead laptop beneath a tent of textbooks, papers and Goldfish crackers. This is a familiar scene in the lounge of the 3rd floor of Andrews during finals week, the scene of the infamous all-nighter.

A rite of passage into the collegiate lifestyle, the all-nighter is a mark of a successful college experience. It shows a dedication to academics, time spent among friends, along with creating stories that will last a lifetime.

The value and wisdom of all-nighters has been debated for ages. Some students swear by them, while some swear at them.

“It’s always easy to find distractions until the last minute. I’m much more of a night owl than a morning person…so if I wind up in a crunch for homework the best way to get things done is to pull an all-nighter,” said Junior Jeff Scott.

At least once in college, every student will find themselves needing to pull an all-nighter. Continuing to do quality work late in the night can be difficult for most students.

“My essays are sloppier and my study guides tend to become more convoluted [as the night wears on],” said Junior Kate Brickner.

Some, however, find working late into the night to increase the quality of their work.

“I find myself thinking with the most clarity for writing by pulling an all-nighter. The lack of distractions and tranquility of the night really helps my brain think,” Sophomore Steven Forbush said.

Getting through the night is always the biggest struggle. The first thing most students grab is caffeine. Although the stimulant will produce wakefulness, caffeine must be used carefully.

Scott needs plenty of snacks and caffeine to get him through the night, while Brickner tries to steer clear of anything except for coffee.

“Having 2-3 cups of coffee works better than the 1 energy drink a person is recommended to have in night…and does not contain the strange concoction of chemicals that energy drinks do.”

Forbush looks to avoid caffeine altogether, instead preferring to drink water.

“I would suggest drinking plenty of water, as it will actually hydrate you and help to keep you awake without the negative effects of caffeine,” said Forbush

Several other tips can make an all-nighter more successful. Brickner recommends having music to keep yourself awake, along with a source of protein and carbs. Scott avoids multi-tasking, as well as working with other people.

“The more tired you get the more difficult it is focus, so the last thing you need is more distractions,” said Scott.

Brickner actually looks for a buddy to stay up with her through the night to keep her accountable and to help her edit in the morning.

The morning after will always be rough. The decision to catch a quick nap before class is generally frowned upon by the all-nighter vets.

“There is a very large possibility that you will oversleep. Additionally, you actually would be more tired by catching that little sleep than if you stay up all night,” said Forbush.

All-nighters must be undertaken carefully. Brickner says to space them out.

“Make sure you pull no more than one-nighter every 3 days, and make sure that you can get plenty of sleep the night afterwards,” said Brickner.

Finals week is its own animal. The week is just a brutal marathon, and all these rules don’t apply.

“All bets are off during finals week. Just survive and get everything done on time!” said Brickner.