Organization equals success: how to stay successful throughout college

By Chelsi Howman

Students all over the country are getting ready to start their first year of college. Every current college student probably wishes that they would have known something when they entered their particular institution.

For many, it was simply how to be organized. But how can being organized really help you as a college student? What difference would those skills really make in your successes?

Ashland University junior Brianna Zapitelli, believes that her organizational skills have been the most important thing thus far in succeeding in college.

“I use my agenda planner every day. It’s really what helps me to make sure that I turn my assignments in on time and make it to meetings. Without it, I know that I would not be getting the good grades that I am,” she said.

So what are these organizational tips? For Zapitelli and many other college students it’s the use of their planners that help them to schedule every day and make them successful students.

Other students talk about making sure that their rooms are organized in order to maintain a clear mind.

AU sophomore, Tarin Cook said that making sure her room is always in place is important for her success.

“I have to keep my room clean. That way I can think better and I think it helps me to be successful in my classes. My roommate also makes sure that she keeps her half clean,” she said.

Sophomore Jayde Veon said that keeping her desk organized was really important to her.

“I would lose so much if my desk wasn’t organized,” she said. “I’m not a very organized person but just that small tip helped to raise my grade in my sociology class.”

Another tip is to make sure that you label everything for each class. This will ensure that you have the correct books and folders for every class that you attend, therefore making you more successful.

Junior Beth Long said that this is the most important for her.

“I keep separate folders for each class. Then if a teacher has a question about a previous assignment that I did, I have it all organized and can prove that I am right if there is a question about my grade,” she said. “Being organized for each class has helped to boost at least one of my grades every semester. I highly recommend labeling everything.”

Sophomore Audrey Art, stresses the importance of an organized filing system, especially when it comes to email.

“I keep a separate folder for each teacher in my email so I always know my conversations with my teachers,” she said.

This simple organization tip would give you records for emailing assignments and asking questions to your professors.

All of these organizational tips will make sure that you become a successful student in your first year of college.

By keeping an agenda planner, a filing system, labeling for classes, and keeping a tidy room, you are better able to keep track of important information. This in turn will ensure that you get the best grade possible in all of your classes. Get out your agenda planners, find your label maker and get organized to be successful throughout your entire college career.