Pizza Fest a hit at Homecoming

Teresa Williams

Before the Homecoming football game last Saturday, students, alumni and other visitors received the opportunity to sample pizza from a variety of places at the Pizza, Pizza, Pizza Fan Fest.

The event took place in the Amstutz parking lot and lasted from 11:30 a.m. until the game’s kickoff at 1 p.m.  A large tent was stationed in the middle of the parking lot that contained rows of tables with pizza from various restaurants including AU Pizza, Besta Fasta, Domino’s, Dor Lo, East of Chicago, KD, O’Bryan’s, Papa John’s and Pizza Hut.  Members of the Campus Activities Board helped serve the pizza to individuals who stopped by the tent.    

Although CAB played a greater role this year in the event, Tech Crew and Alumni and Parent Relations assisted in the organization efforts.  Despite these changes, many of the individuals at Pizza, Pizza, Pizza did not indicate that they witnessed any major differences in the gathering from the previous years.

Besides offering free pizza, the event featured activities that Ashland University fans could participate in before walking over to the stadium for the game.  One of these highlights involved two large inflatables located on the grassy area outside of Amstutz Hall.  Likewise, a face painting booth and a spirit bracelet making table added to the festivities.  

AU’s mascot Tuffy the Eagle also made an appearance at the Fan Fest and mingled amongst the Eagle fans.  Younger AU supporters enjoyed meeting Tuffy.

These activities helped enhance the atmosphere of the day, according to Student Life Intern Marissa Uhrig.

“Our goal for the event is to have as much fun as possible, and to support our team by getting everyone excited for the Football game to follow,” Uhrig said.  

In addition to eating pizza and participating in the festivities, both students as well as alumni could interact and enjoy each other’s company.

Alumna Betsy Spaulding was at the event with her former roommate Carol Hubbard.  Their husbands were also AU grads and roommates.

“We have always come for decades,” Spaulding said.

Overall, the two enjoyed the event and the environment that the university provided on game day. 

“It’s wonderful. They do a really nice job of making everyone feel welcome,” Hubbard said.

After watching the game, they planned on attending the Purple Eagle Silent Auction to complete their day in Ashland. 

Alumna Erin Haligowski also stopped by Pizza, Pizza, Pizza with her friend before heading over to the stadium and expressed similar sentiments. 

“I haven’t been back in four years,” Haligowski said. “I love coming back and catching up with friends.”

Besides alumni, current students took advantage of the free pizza.

Senior Morgan Wade said that she came on her way to the game where she was going to see her friend on the homecoming court.

“It’s awesome.  I love that there’s people who are alumni here supporting the Eagles,” Wade said.

Others stopped by to spend time with fellow Eagle fans and enjoy the exciting atmosphere before kickoff.

“I came to hang out with friends. It’s fun,” freshman Zack Smelcer said.