Reps speak to students and faculty about job opportunities

Hallie Carrino

This past week, two representatives from the United States’ Department of States Office spoke to a group of about 25 that included students, faculty, and staff. The meeting took place at 11 am in the Ashbrook Center on the 8th Floor of the Library. The two guests spoke to students and faculty about jobs in state department.

This year, Ashland University’s College of Arts and Science Symposium is specifically targeting a topic called “Against Indifference, Engaging Latin America and the Caribbean.” The program hosted by the College of Arts of Science was with Ambassador Susan Jacobs, Special Advisor for the US Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues and Kathy Sacco, public outreach coordinator for the Office of Children’s issues. Both Jacobs and Sacco explained their positions in children issues that deal predominately with habitual issues, adoption, and advocating overseas.

Jacob’s role in the State Department is to assist parents, children, and families in matters related to intercountry adoption and international parental child abductions. Latin American countries are the most common destination of reported parental abductions, for example the Sean Goldman case that threated U.S./Brazil relations. Jacob’s department is the central authority for two conventions: adoption and abduction. Under Jacob’s position and others like her, she advocates for these two conventions in other countries and encourages countries to join. 

Kathy Sacco is also accompanied by Ambassador Jacobs. Sacco is s the public outreach coordinator in the Office of Children’s Issues within the Bureau of Consular Affairs. She is responsible for a variety of outreach functions, which provide information and assistance about intercountry adoptions, international parental child abductions, and other issues pertaining to the safety and welfare of children. As such, she works alongside Jacobs frequently. “It is really exciting to be working with other countries…helping children…helping families,” says Sacco who herself was adopted from another country.

According to Jacobs and Sacco, the job is all about patience. Rather than being a very spontaneous program, they explain that cases and adoption processes can often be very drawn out. However, the act of civil service is “rewarding” and it is great “to serve your country in the public sector.”  Some of the jobs included in the State Department are both within the public and private sector as well as both in Washington D.C. and abroad.

Some majors that may be interested in such a field include but are not limited to political science, social work, international relations, and psychology. For information on internships or careers at the U.S. Department of State, go to any of the four sites listed below.

www.careers.state.gov

www.careers.state.gov/students

www.careers.state.gov/learn

www.careers.state.gov/work/domestic