How to prepare for your finals

Teresa Williams

The pressure mounts and emotions run high on the night before the first day of final exams.  As the 8 a.m. exam time rapidly approaches, a frantic student begins studying. With a coffee mug in hand, he starts his quest to memorize the dozens of terms in front of him.

While glancing nervously at the clock, he wonders if enough time exists to cram the rest of the terms, read three more chapters in the textbook and complete a six page essay for another class’s exam before morning.  Taking a sip of coffee, the student starts worrying not only about unfinished work but also the difficulty of staying alert during the test with such a small amount of sleep. 

The tension continues building as he understands the necessity of high grades on his exams this semester in order to maintain his GPA.  

While this example remains hypothetical in nature, the majority of college students have experienced the stress and pressure present during exam week at some point in their college careers.  

Seniors in particular can testify that that these strategies fail to provide the desired results.

“Start studying earlier,” senior Kelsey Golec said. “Procrastinating doesn’t work.”

As final exams approach, employing the proper study habits can remain the difference between success and failure on an exam while reducing the anxiety that accompanies finals week. 

Tip #1:  Focus on repetition

When studying for final exams, practice makes perfect.  One strategy that will assist students in retaining information involves creating flashcards.  Individuals can take the flashcards with them and flip through the deck in between classes. 

Besides flashcards, simply rereading the textbook or PowerPoint slides also aids in memorization. Other students copy their notes again in order to more easily recall the concepts on exam day.

“I sometimes make flashcards but I would rather write out my complete notes, that way if you have a question you can ask it later,” sophomore Alyse Turner said.

Creating incentives embodies one way to increase motivation while studying or rereading the material.  For example, individuals can place gummy bears or candy on the pages of a textbook. After reaching a certain point, students can reward their hard work with an enjoyable treat. 

Tip #2: Prepare in advance

Avoiding procrastination serves as one of the most effective methods for reducing the stress associated with final exams.  Students should spread out their studying and review a portion of the material each night to provide a more manageable workload.

“Plan ahead,” senior Becca Beckwith said. “That way you have time to take breaks while studying.”

Students can also increase their productivity by completing tasks in a quiet place.

“I study in the library because there’s less distractions and everyone is focused on what they’re doing,” Golec said.

Tip #3:  Enlist the help of others

Both classmates and professors embody valuable resources during exam week. Studying with a group of classmates facilitates comprehension and peers can offer new perspectives of the content. Professors can also help clarify difficult concepts as well as provide insight into the exam format.

“I review with a friend,” Turner said. “That way if I don’t understand, they can explain it to me.”

Tip #4:  Enter exams with the right mindset

Receiving a full night’s sleep the night before an exam improves alertness during the test.  Eating a healthy breakfast the morning of a final will also keep one’s mind attentive.    

While taking the exam, implementing test taking strategies such as eliminating incorrect answers right away on multiple choice questions may increase the level of success.  

“I first answer the questions I know,” Turner said. “The questions that I’m unsure of I circle the number and go back to them later.”

Reviewing the exam before handing it in can also be helpful, but test takers should be cautioned to avoid second guessing themselves.

“Go back and check only if you don’t answer it the first time,” Golec said

While final exams create pressure and stress in a college student’s life, practicing these techniques will prevent late night cram sessions and relieve the tension of exam week. 

“Don’t worry about them,” Beckwith said. “Take your time and give yourself plenty of time to study.”