Snow days take their toll on the budget

Teresa Williams

Amid the snow and cold temperatures this winter, the buildings and heating systems on campus have not experienced any significant issues.

Although a few water main breaks and difficulties with heating in certain buildings occurred at the beginning of semester, Vice President of Facilities Management and Planning Rick Ewing indicated that the last few weeks are better than the start of the semester.  However, he pointed out that the overall colder temperatures this winter and the challenge of maintaining the temperature in the buildings will impact the university’s cost of utilities.

“We haven’t seen the financial numbers, but we will see an increase as a result of the lower temperatures,” Ewing said.

Generally, if the temperature remains higher than 10 degrees, they do not anticipate as many issues with heating the buildings on campus. However, any temperatures below this point provide a sign of caution and they closely monitor the heating system.  They have continued to make adjustments when necessary throughout the semester. 

Another aspect involves the amount of salt used for keeping sidewalks and pathways clean.  As of the beginning of February, Ewing indicated that the university had used 90 tons of salt this year.  This amount is higher than in recent years and surpasses the amount of salt used at this time last year.  Municipalities around the area in addition to AU face these same salt shortage issues.  However, municipalities receive the salt first before non-governmental agencies, which results in a potential shortage for many of these private entities such as AU.  

Along with the president and the provost, Ewing helps monitor the weather situations and provides input regarding whether classes should be cancelled.  This semester, three day classes and one night class were cancelled.  The reasons for these cancellations involved both the bitter cold temperatures and the potential for slick and snowy travels during the morning commute.

AU also experienced a two hour delay earlier in February and delayed the start of classes until 12 p.m. on another day.  Ewing said that the morning of the two hour delay earlier in the semester, he spoke with the provost and discussed the weather outlook and the safety of those traveling to campus especially for commuters and professors.

On the morning of the two hour delay, Ashland County was still on a Level 2 Snow Emergency, which played a role in the decision as well.  He indicated that they had been monitoring the weather all night in anticipation of dangerous conditions.  Once the morning arrived and the situation had not improved, they decided to delay the start time by two hours.  This involved cancelling 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. classes with the campus schedule resuming to the normal routine at 10 a.m.  This allowed additional time for snow removal and ensuring that the sidewalks and roads were safe. 

“We want to be mindful of the snow and road conditions,” he said.

Ewing values the support of the students, faculty and staff as everyone battles the cold temperatures and snow together.

“We appreciate the understanding of the university community,” he said.