History and Poly Sci faculty talk NSA surveillance

Zack Lemon

The NSA stole the headlines this summer following Edward Snowden’s leaks of the massive data collection program. Public outrage followed, and debate broke out across the country. 

On Monday, the debate was formalized in a roundtable discussion between three members of Ashland University’s History and Political Science department.Professors Chris Burkett, Jeff Sikkenga, and Rene Paddags discussed the necessity, the constitutionality and the foreign relations implications of the program. The discussion was hosted by the Alexander Hamilton Society, a new organization to the University.“The Alexander Hamilton society is a forum that talks about international relations and foreign affairs in the United States,” sophomore Brooke Branson said. 

Branson is the PR secretary for the Society. “It seeks to educate people not only on campus but in the community on what’s happening.”

Each professor brought with them an expertise uniquely positioned to add an important element to the discussion. Burkett was quick to credit his colleagues for their contributions.

“Professor Paddags has that broad view, that especially useful view of the effect this has on international relations and Professor Sikkenga is a first rate constitutional thinker,” he said. Burkett’s expertise lies primarily in foreign policy and the American founding. 

The discussion began by addressing the necessity of the program. The professors concluded it was difficult to quantify necessity, but to instead think of the constitutionality of the program. Sikkenga especially emphasized questioning whether the program was just or wise above judging its necessity. 

One thing clouding the conversation was the lack of exact detail on the program. The professors made clear there is a substantial difference between the collection of contact data and the content of the call. Their main takeaway, however, was the importance on an ongoing dialogue about the role and powers of government.

“Really, at the heart of this question is why is this an issue the answer is because it is a question about liberty which American still find very important,” Burkett said, “but there has to be a balance struck between the demands of safety and security on the one hand and the other purpose of government which is to promote and preserve as much liberty as possible.”

The discussion also touched on the foreign relations implications. Paddags, who is form Germany, spoke to the deep distrust many European regimes have of national security agencies. The professors also agreed things like tapping the phone of German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s phone is both unnecessary and stupid, but there was still a level of intelligence gathering necessary, even among friends.

Burkett believed the conversation went well, as it helped to establish a framework for a rational conversation.

“The takeaway from this should be the importance of thinking about these things in a certain kind of context [which is] what are the principled purposes for government, the principled reasons and ends for which government exists and from there you start having a discussion within the context of those principles.”

Continuing the debate falls in line with the mission of the Alexander Hamilton Society. Branson hoped the audience left the roundtable with a deepened interest.

“I definitely hope they gain a wider understanding of what American foreign policy is,” she said, “definitely get more enthusiasm to listen to the news and learn what is happening in other countries not just America.”