Up for good: AU students stay up to raise money for St. Jude’s

Hallie Carrino

On February 8,the Ashland University’s St. Jude’s Board hosted their annual “Up ‘til Dawn” event. The event took place in the Rec Center from 12 a.m to 6 a.m.  

The night featured team challenges, presentations, and an awards ceremony to commend participants’ achievements.  

Some of these activities included a dodge ball tournament as well as a team obstacle course. 

Teams of six individuals were required to raise $100 each before the event to participate in the night’s activities.  

This is the first year that AU hosted an all-night event.  In previous years, the organization hosted the “Letter Writing Party” where participants were required to write 50 letters to friends and family asking for donations for the cause. 

“It was St. Jude’s National’s choice to change the event from the Letter Writing Party to an all-night event,” said Abby Leboza, the Executive Director of St. Jude’s “Up ‘til Dawn” at Ashland.  “We’re hoping that this event will bring a bigger variety of students, and will be more exciting for AU.”

The event has abled the organization to raise over $15,000 since the beginning of the school year. Students still wishing to contribute to the organization may submit donations up until April 10.

Members from all areas of campus including Greek Life and club sports teams, created teams to help raise money for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. 

There were over 15 volunteers, including Rec Center employees and Greek Life members, to help the St. Jude’s Executive Board run the event. 

“I wanted to volunteer for St. Jude’s because I wanted to support cancer research,” said Schuyler Kuhlman, a sister of Delta Zeta. “The volunteer experience was fun and exciting but also touching; I look forward to working with St. Jude’s in the future.”