Basketball assists Miller’s future

Halee Heironimus

Sports are more than just a game to athlete, but rather an influential component to their future. 

For senior Alyssa Miller, basketball taught her leadership skills that helped her excel on the court and in her college career.

Miller started playing basketball at a young age and continued her career through college.

The welcoming feeling of the small, Ashland community won over her heart.

“Everyone was so excited to learn about you and they actually wanted to know you as a person and get to know you as an individual before an athlete. I knew coming in that I could chase my dreams with a career and also be an athlete.”

Freshman year of college is such a change in lifestyle, especially being an athlete and having to balance time between sports and academics. Miller had two seniors that she looked up to her freshman year that helped her survive and get through the day. This year, being the only senior, Miller wanted to be as good of a role model to the freshmen as the seniors were to her.

“I knew the impact the seniors had on me my freshman year and I wanted to be that type of leader for our freshmen this year, and Jamie (Sobzcak) as well, since we had so many new kids coming in.”

As a part of the 2013 National Championship team, Miller also learned a lot from those seniors, especially Kari (Daugherty) Pickens.

“I really learned from Kari how to be a hard worker all of the time. She made us better every day and that’s another lesson I took.”

Miller said she needed to bring all of those things together that she learned the past three years and show that to the freshmen. She feels she was raised in a program that brings up good leaders and the coaches try to find ways to develop the girls as a better person outside of the court as well. 

“I think that having a leadership role as an athlete at Ashland has helped with my communication skills, teamwork ability, and adversity.”

For the past three years, Miller developed strong relationships with her coaches, professors, and the employees that recruit Ashland students. They helped her with confidence by always praising her and trying to help and lead her in the right direction, along with helping her understand her strengths and getting feedback.

Miller used her strengths and leadership skills to land a job at one of America’s leading sports clothing and accessories companies, Under Armour. 

After basketball and graduation, Miller will be a Merchandising Coordinator at Under Armour. Her duties focus more on the analytical side of sales; for instance trend analysis, forecasting, how much of the product is selling and how much is to be allocated. Miller also hopes to work with t-shirt graphics. 

“I’m so excited. The amount of change that happens to you in one year is unbelievable.” 

Miller cannot thank her teammates, coaching staff, professors, friends, and family enough for their support.