Students question administration at Student Speak-up

Zack Lemon

Last week, Ashland University’s top administrators met with students to discuss issues facing students. 

For an hour and a half, students had the opportunity to ask any question of their administration. 

The questions centered on the relationship between Student Senate and the administration. Senators expressed displeasure with a lack of communication in regards to the recent cost-cutting moves, including the cutting of winter commencement and the increase in parking fees.

Students felt they weren’t adequately consulted before these changes were enacted, and wanted assurances that such moves would not be made again without some level of student input.

There was a general concern about the financial state of the University as well. Senators asked questions about how Ashland would overcome its financial problems without sacrificing its mission.

The administration maintained their commitment to the core values and principles of the University despite the tough economic times. 

They believe Ashland’s diversity in programs will give it the necessary stability to survive the financial difficulties it currently faces.

An administrative consolidation was also announced at speak-up. 

Changes to how departments and majors are organized are expected to occur shortly, although no tenured professors will be fired. The moves are designed to reduce administrative costs while maintain the same academic performance.

Some causes of the financial strain were also explained. Large graduate numbers helped keep Ashland University financially sound. 

However, recent changes in Ohio law no longer require teachers to have a Master’s degree, causing a significant drop in the Masters of Education program. 

The program currently has 500 students, down from 1300 just a few years prior. 

Other issues discussed included the change in freshmen meal plans, changes to the fries in Eagle’s Nest and the change in length before a password reset is necessary.