Bittengle leads Eagles to split

Tom Prizeman

After six consecutive matches that ended with a final score of 2-1, matches where the Ashland University Women’s soccer team lost four out of six, the Eagles were happy to finally get a result other than 2-1.

After dropping a 2-1 decision to Saginaw Valley State, AU finally snapped the streak with a 3-1 victory over Northwood (MI). 

After splitting their matches over the weekend in the Wolverine state Ashland’s record stands at 5-4 overall and 2-3 in GLIAC play.

Freshman forward Morgan Bittengle led the way for AU, scoring three goals in the two matches. 

Bittengle’s three goals add to her team lead of six goals. 

The Eagles visited University Center, Michigan to take on the 18th ranked Saginaw Valley State Cardinals on Oct. 3.  

Just three minutes into the match sophomore forward Jennifer Goethals opened up the scoring, firing a shot from the right side past the Ashland goalie Karly Beuck and into the top left corner of the net. 

Goethals second goal of the 2014 season moved Saginaw Valley State in front of Ashland 1-0.

Ashland responded quickly, as less than 10 minutes later freshman forward Morgan Bittengle struck a shot into the lower left corner of the net for her fourth goal of the season. 

The former Pickerington North first team all-Ohio selection’s goal pulled AU even with the 18th ranked Cardinals 12 minutes into the match.

Before the game reached its 20th minute Saginaw Valley State scored the game-winning goal. 

In the 19th minute sophomore forward Ashley Henderson beat Beuck with a shot to the top right corner of the net. Henderson’s team leading fourth goal put the Cardinals in front 2-1.

Heavy rains the night before the match made for muddy and sloppy playing conditions for Ashland to attempt their comeback.  

The Eagles, who were outshot 13-8 in the match, could not trim the one goal deficit in the final 70 minutes, falling to the number 18 ranked team in the country 2-1. 

Second year head coach Danny Krispinsky was proud of his team’s effort versus a top ranked opponent.

“We battled this past weekend,” Krispinsky said. “Even though we came up short on Friday, we put ourselves in a position to tie the game at the very end. “

The Eagles traveled further north to Michigan’s upper peninsula to continue the battle against the Timberwolves of Northwood. 

Morgan Bittengle continued her excellent weekend in the 19th minute when she corralled a Kelsey Dropsey cross in the box and smashed it home. 

Bittengle’s fifth goal of the season, and second on the weekend gave Ashland a 1-0 lead.

Northwood pulled even in the 36th minute thanks to a Shannon Brown goal. 

The freshman’s third goal of the season leveled the match at 1, where it would stay until the 58th minute.

The second half belonged to Ashland. 

Junior Krista Lewis pushed Ashland into the lead in the 58th minute as she beat the keeper and kept inside the left post for her second goal of the season. 

Lewis’ goal extended the Ashland advantage to 2-1 over Northwood.

Morgan Bittengle put an exclamation put on her weekend in the 70th minute.

Kelsey McKernan sent a cross into the box that Bittengle slammed into the back of the net for her sixth goal of the season. 

Bittengle’s goal, that completed her hat trick for the weekend, increased Ashland’s lead to 3-1 over the Timberwolves. 

“I’ve been impressed with Morgan Bittengle since the first day of preseason,” Krispinsky said.  “She’s been important to our team’s success and has adapted to the collegiate game quickly. “

Bittengle was named GLIAC offensive player of the week for her efforts over the weekend. 

“Her best days are ahead of her,” Krispinsky said, “which is the exciting part.”

AU outshot Northwood 12-3 en for the game.

The win pushed the Eagles over the .500 mark on the season to 5-4 and fifth place in GLIAC southern division. 

“After the tough result on Friday, our girls found a way to respond and have a good performance against Northwood on the road,” Krispinsky said. “That performance will be key in giving us confidence going forward.” 

AU will have a two game homecoming home stand this week, as the Women’s soccer team kicks off the homecoming weekend with a home match against southern division rival Tiffin on Friday Oct. 10.  

The Eagles soccer team will also conclude homecoming on Sunday Oct. 12 when non-GLIAC opponent Seton Hill visits Ferguson Field. 

Krispinsky said that communication is the key to coming away with two victories this weekend.

“To win both games this weekend, our communication and execution on the ball will be keys.  We’ve been playing hard, but have been missing that extra bit of class on the ball that separates teams.”