Van Loo promoted to executive vice president

Zack Lemon

This is Scott Van Loo’s fifth year as an administrator at Ashland University, and, like several before, he will have additional responsibilities this year.

“Does my email chain get a little longer? Yes,” Van Loo, AU’s new executive vice president, said, “That’s happened every year I’ve been here, and we just try to be as responsive and to be as available as possible.”

Van Loo, who took over the position in June, will now oversee Student Affairs. Hannah Clayborne, who took over the Vice President of Student Affairs position in early August, will now report to Van Loo. 

“The idea is trying to create that synergy that exists between student affairs and the areas I oversee in enrollment management and marketing,” Van Loo said. 

He won’t be directly involved in the day-to-day work with student affairs. Rather, he will focus on where there are common interests shared between the two departments.

“What Hannah and I work on is through our meetings every week is to talk about the synergies between the different areas, to talk about not only who we bring in as students but how we work with students once they’re here,” he said.

The new position is part of a restructured cabinet, with multiple levels of administration. Van Loo will join President Carlos Campo, Interim Provost Doug Fiore and Vice President for Finance and Administration Stephen Storck on the executive leadership team. 

That executive leadership team will meet more frequently than the cabinet, which has added the executive director of information technology, the athletic director, the executive director of the Ashbrook Center and the interim provost.  

There’s also an administrative team that includes the deans, among other positions. 

“[Campo’s] vision is to then communicate and make sure information is moving and not isolated to specific cabinet members,” Van Loo said.

Other administrative changes include athletics, which previously reported to Student Affairs, now reporting directly to the President.