AU community remembers Don Rinehart

Halee Heironimus

Ashland University mourns the loss of yet another faculty member, Don Rinehart. Rinehart, of Ashland, passed away at The Ohio State University Medical Center on Sunday at age 78.

Rinehart was born on Oct. 11, 1937 in Johnsville to Lydia and Glen Rinehart, the youngest of four children.

As stated in a press release, “Don represented AU in so many ways and many generations of AU students can testify to his wisdom and compassion in the classroom. He and his wife, Jan, were described by many as the ‘quintessential AU faculty members.’”

“If anyone understood the mission and what Ashland University is about, it was Don Rinehart,” said AU Athletic Director Al King.

Rinehart was a 1959 graduate of Ashland College and continued his education at Ashland Theological Seminary, where he earned his Bachelor of Divinity (1965) and Master of Divinity (1970) degrees. Rinehart also held a Master of Education from the University of Arizona and a Doctor of Ministry from United Theological Seminary.

Rinehart began teaching in the Religion Department in the fall semester of 1969 and served as chair for the religion department from 1975-79 and 1991-95, Dean of the school of Arts and Humanities from 1980-88 and a member of the President’s Cabinet from 1980-85.

He retired in 2007, yet continued teaching sections of the class ‘Exploring the Bible.’ In April 2015, Don presented his final lecture titled “Last Lecture: The Beginning of Wisdom” in front of a large crowd in Miller Chapel.

“We should all be so fortunate that if we could have an influence on two or three people the way he did on thousands of people,” said King.

Rinehart was also involved and devoted to AU’s Athletics. He was a member of the Gridiron Club Executive Board, member of the Hall of Fame Executive Board, a season ticket holder for basketball and football, and won the Eagle Forever award.

Student athletes could always count on Rinehart’s presence at their games and competitions.

“Don was so close to not just one program but to every program,” said King. “He enjoyed being around the students. It was fun to watch him see our students compete and do well and he would be happy.”

The athletic department will be honoring Rinehart through a moment of silence prior to the women’s basketball game on Thursday.

“We in Athletics know what the standard is with him and we know how he would’ve acted,” said King. “The best thing that we can do is follow that lead in everything we do as individuals and as an Athletic Department.”

Outside of AU, Rinehart was involved in the community and in local churches. He served as moderator of the Ohio Conference and General Conference of Brethren Churches and also as a member of various organizations and groups in the community. Rinehart also served as pastor of several area churches, including the First Congregational Church in Lexington for 24 years, and performed a countless number of weddings in the University’s Memorial Chapel.

Calling hours will be held in Myers Convocation Center from 3 to 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 27 and again from 2 to 4 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 28 prior to a Celebration of Life service that will begin at 4 p.m. in Miller Chapel.

The service will be streamed by AU’s Journalism and Digital Media Department. Overflow seating will be in Hugo Young Theatre where people can watch the stream.