Phi Kappa Psi holds Safe Driving Week campaign on campus

The fraternity looks to spread awareness about the dangers of distracted driving
Submitted by Phi Kappa Psi Ohio Theta
Phi Kappa Psi brothers Jonathan Tiel, Pierce Abbitt, and Kyle Doershuk (from left to right) table in the AU Quad.

In 2016, Hunter Watson, a student part of the New York Beta Chapter at Syracuse University lost his life to a distracted driving incident.  

What began as a Syracuse-only memorial soon turned into national events hosted by other chapters. Since the incident, Phi Psi chapters across the country have taken part in events in honor of Watson’s memory.   

Ashland University’s Phi Kappa Psi President Cade Cracas said, “This year when I became president, I was thinking, ‘How can we make a bigger impact on campus?’ and ‘How can we do more on the philanthropic side of things?’”  

From March 11 to 15, AU’s Phi Psi Fraternity is tabling in hopes of spreading information on safe driving.  

Anyone at AU can get involved. Vice President Caleb Weiland spoke on what can be expected from these tables on campus.  

“Hunter’s pledge lasts for a week with tabling happening on Monday, Wednesday and Friday,” he said. “We are also doing ‘Dares for Donations’ which can be found on our Instagram … We are then finishing the week with ‘Pie a Phi Psi’.”  

By stopping by at these tabling opportunities, students also can sign pledges to help end distracted driving, whether that includes thinking of themselves or spreading the word to others.  

On Tuesday, March 11, the fraternity was at 125 pledge cards out of their goal of 500. The brothers also plan to donate fundraised money to Camp Nuhop.  

Cracas explained that having different events brings more attention to the awareness the fraternity is spreading during this week. Students can stop by on their way to class or come back for more on a different day. 

To learn more about these events or the Phi Psi fraternity, follow their Instagram and find them on Ashland Engage.  

Editor’s Note: Cade Cracas is the Digital and Sports Editor for The Collegian