AU STUNT looks to kickoff 2024 season behind Head Coach Denise Farnsworth

The Eagles will look to repeat as Great Midwest Athletic Conference champions
Retrieved with permission from AU Athletics
Coach Farnsworth and the conference trophy after securing the championship last season.

The 2024 Ashland University STUNT season is underway, and Head STUNT Coach, Denise Farnsworth, is ready to take on the upcoming season.

In the 2023 season, the team held Great Midwest Athletic Conference (G-MAC) titles such as 2023 G-MAC STUNT Regular Season Champions, 2023 G-MAC STUNT Tournament Champions, and 2023 Division II STUNT National Qualifiers. However, Farnsworth is confident in her and her coaching staff’s ability to take on more incoming pressure.

“There’s definitely a sense of pressure to maintain the high standard set by last year’s team,” Farnsworth said. “As a coaching staff, we are trying to use that pressure as an opportunity to keep us all motivated to achieve even greater success.”

To ensure an equal to or better season like last year, she is focusing on her team and ensures she can identify areas that need the most improvement.

“My goal has been to really personalize all of the practice plans so that each team member is getting the necessary reps of skills and feedback from coaches on a daily basis,” she said.

During preseason training, Farnsworth finds that the team needs to focus on many aspects of STUNT. However, there are a few areas Farnsworth emphasizes for the team’s success.

“We have put a great emphasis on skill refinement, team synchronization, and keeping our mental game sharp,” Farnsworth said.

Farnsworth’s coaching staff stands behind her and her abilities as a head coach to ensure the success of their team. Assistant Coach and former athlete to Farnsworth, Ryley Poling, assures that Farnsworth is utilizing her staff at a high level for the upcoming season.

“Denise is very on top of everything we do for STUNT,” Poling said. “She ensures we have all our provided material needed for the season. We communicate often to ensure we are all on the same page and what is needed to be prepared for our upcoming season, game, and/or practice.”

According to her staff, Farnsworth’s commitment to the team is outstanding.

“She is fearless and committed to taking our program to new levels and reaching our goals,” Assistant Coach Brandy Marquette said. “Denise is the heart of our team. Her positivity not only uplifts but also sets the tone, inspiring everyone to reach their full potential.”

The AU STUNT team’s opening match will be on Friday, Feb. 3 against the University of Kentucky STUNT team in Lexington, KY. Farnsworth believes Kentucky is an opportunity to prepare themselves for success.

“This is our third year opening at the University of Kentucky,” Farnsworth said. “Right now, I am focused on our routines, looking strong and polished, as well as keeping the team morale high and everyone motivated and committed to giving their best effort.”

Farnsworth is ready to take on the upcoming season, and her team is confident in her abilities to head the AU STUNT program.

“AU STUNT would be nowhere with Denise Farnsworth,” Poling said.