AU track and field looks to find success in conference championships

On Friday, Feb. 23 the Eagles will begin their Great Midwest Athletic Conference (G-MAC) championship meet at home
The Eagles line up for a race at a meet inside the NISS Athletic Center. (Retrieved from T.J. Skinner’s Instagram)

Ashland University’s men and women’s indoor track and field teams are coming to the peak of their Indoor season.

On Friday, Feb. 23 the Eagles will begin their Great Midwest Athletic Conference (G-MAC) championship meet at home in the NISS Athletic Center on the campus of Ashland University.

Our aim is to win on both the men’s and women’s side,” said Director of Track & Field Operations Jacob Sussman. 

Last year at the Indoor G-MAC meet the men’s team placed third and the women’s placed fourth, both out of eleven teams. This year, the Eagles coaching staff are approaching this meet with their eyes at the top.

Eagle Head Coach Alfred Kruger said that he believes that both men’s and women’s teams have the capability to capture a conference title. 

The confidence the coaching staff possess has also spread to the athletes.

“I definitely see conference championship potential for the men’s and women’s side,” Senior hurdler and sprinter T.J Skinner said.

Confidence will be key for the upcoming meet as the Eagles will have to compete with a tough field that includes the reigning G-MAC champion on both sides, the Findlay Oilers, alongside strong contenders from other conference opponents.

When asked about the greatest strengths the team has Sussman praised the strong senior leadership.

Our biggest strength right now is our depth and senior leadership,” he said. “Our seniors have stepped up in all event groups to really show the young athletes how to behave and how to compete. Many top contenders will help us when the time comes, but the group that comes to mind is our 60 hurdlers.

The 60m hurdle squad consisting of T.J. Skinner, D.J. Duncan, Jullian Griffin and Ty Allen currently rank number one in the nation. 

Other squads ranking in the top ten of the country are the 400m, 800m, and weight throw squads on the men’s side and the 60m hurdle, high jump, pentathlon, pole vault, shot put and weight throw squads on the women’s side.

The conference meet will last for two days with field events, heptathlon, pentathlon, the distance medley and preliminary races taking place on the first day.

Then, on the second day, the heptathlon and pentathlon will continue, the finals of the sprint races will commence, the distance events will begin and the sprint relays will also take place.

“We have been working hard and now it’s time to show everyone what we are really capable of,” said Skinner.