AU football releases 2024 schedule after successful previous campaign

The Eagles will kickoff the coming season against Indiana University of Pennsylvania for the second year straight
Mike Hopkins
Head Coach Doug Geiser walks on the field at Jack Miller Stadium during 2023 fall practices.
The full 2024 schedule can be found at the bottom of the article.

The Ashland University football team has officially unveiled the Eagles’ 2024 schedule to the public.

After finding plenty of success in the 2023 fall season, the Eagles will look to maintain an eight-game winning streak through the season opener against a familiar foe; the Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) Crimson Hawks.

“The 2024 season schedule will present one of the biggest challenges in Ashland history,” said Eagle Head Coach Doug Geiser.”Once again, we’ll open right out of the chute with two nationally-ranked opponents in IUP and Ferris State.”

When the Eagles took on IUP and Ferris State in the 2023 campaign, the team fell in both outings.

Against the Crimson Hawks, the team lost 24-17 before returning home to take on the defending Division II National Champions in the Bulldogs, where they once again felt the hands of defeat, 38-28.

In response, the Eagles would go on to win the next eight of nine contests, to finish the campaign with an 8-3 overall record. During that span, the team was able to take down the Hillsdale College Chargers, a contest that was highlighted by the Eagles taking home the Traveling Trophy.

In the 2024 season, the schedule will once again see the Traveling Trophy be played for early in the season after they take on the Bulldogs and Crimson Hawks.

The Eagles will take on the Bulldogs on Thursday, Sept. 5 at home with kickoff set for 7:00 P.M. while the road game against the Bulldogs will take place on Saturday, Sept. 14 with a time yet to be decided on.

“We then will follow that up with a trip to Hillsdale to play for the Traveling Trophy,” said Geiser. “After, we’ll play Tiffin, Ohio Dominican, and Findlay in rapid succession – they have all won a G-MAC title (or titles) in the past seven years.”

The Eagles’ 2023 season was stamped by a blowout loss to the Tiffin Dragons, 55-30, before the Dragons would go on to compete in the NCAA D-II Postseason Playoffs. While that contest came on the road, the team will get the chance to face the Dragons at Jack Miller Stadium in 2024 on Saturday, Sept. 28 with game time set for 1:00 P.M.

Straight after opening the season with four strong opponents, the Eagles will host Homecoming against the Ohio Dominican Panthers on Saturday, Oct. 5 at 1:00 P.M.

For the Eagles, it will be the team’s 100th Homecoming game.

Following the Homecoming festivities, they will travel on the road to take on the Findlay Oilers on Saturday, Oct. 12 and the Thomas More Saints on Saturday, Oct. 19. The times for both have yet to be determined.

Through the opening seven contests, the Eagles will be on the road for four of them and at home for just three.

Into the back-half of the season, the Eagles will return home for an outing against the Northwood Timberwolves on Saturday, Oct. 26 at 1:00 P.M.

The next two contests will come on the road yet again as they will head to Painsville, Ohio, to take on the Lake Erie College Storm on Saturday, Nov. 2 and then to North Canton, Ohio, to face up against the Walsh Cavaliers on Saturday, Nov. 9.

Against the Storm, the Eagles will play at a time yet to be determined, while the game against the Cavaliers will occur at noon.

To finish off the 2024 campaign, the Eagles will avoid the seven-hour drive south to take on Kentucky Wesleyan and instead stay at home to face the Panthers.

With the spring season finally upon the Eagles, the team will look to the 2024 Signing Day, spring scrimmages and preparation for the 2024 season in hopes of making a run in the NCAA D-II Postseason Playoffs.

“Spring practice will be especially vital this year, as we prepare for one of the most challenging fall schedules in school history,” said Geiser

Retrieved from the Ashland University Athletic Department Press Release
DAY/DATE OPPONENT TIME
THURSDAY, SEPT. 5 IUP 7 P.M.
Saturday, Sept. 14 at Ferris State TBA
Saturday, Sept. 21 at Hillsdale* 1 p.m.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 28 TIFFIN* 1 P.M.
SATURDAY, OCT. 5 OHIO DOMINICAN (HOMECOMING)* 1 P.M.
Saturday, Oct. 12 at Findlay* TBA
Saturday, Oct. 19 at Thomas More* TBA
SATURDAY, OCT. 26 NORTHWOOD* 1 P.M.
Saturday, Nov. 2 at Lake Erie* TBA
Saturday, Nov. 9 at Walsh* Noon
SATURDAY NOV. 16 KENTUCKY WESLEYAN* 1 P.M.