AU Academic Mentor Award recipients’ names revealed

The Academic Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees selected eight winners
148 Views
Allison Waltz-Boebel
Provost Dr. Amiel Jarstfer speaking to crowd 

On Jan. 26, 2024, Academic Mentor Award recipients were recognized during the luncheon in the John C. Myers Convocation Center at Ashland University. 

Students nominated people who became their mentors at AU. The Academic Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees selected eight winners.  

AU trustees, faculty, administrators and Student Senate representatives attended the ceremony. Recipients were accompanied by their mentees. 

This award is for faculty, staff and administrators who contributed to the development of students in and above the academic area. Students wrote essays explaining how the guidance of their nominees` influenced their individual growth.  

Rev. Steven Cole, chairman of the Academic Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees, delivered an invocation in the begging of a ceremony. The meeting was presided by Dr. Amiel Jarstfer, provost of AU.  

Jarstfer shared how his own course of life developed thanks to the mentor he had while pursuing a bachelor’s degree. He quoted the highlights from the essays students had dedicated to their mentors. Passages were also distributed around the tables.  

This year’s award recipients include:  

• Kristina Cunningham, Assistant Director of Academic Advising, nominated by a senior Cole Shreve majoring in Education 
  • Kristen Herrick, Professional Academic Advisor, nominated by a senior Eleanor Lohr majoring in Digital Media Production  
  • Timothy Hinkel, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Accounting nominated by two seniors, LeighAnn Cutlip and Konnor Ray both majoring in Accounting 
  • Craig Hovey, Ph.D., Professor of Religion and Executive Director of the Ashland Center for Nonviolence, nominated by a senior Emma Heim majoring in Political Science 
  • Daniel Nolt, Clinical Assistant Professor, nominated by a senior, Emily Todd majoring in Nursing  
  • René Paddags, Ph. D., Associate Professor of Political Science, nominated by a senior, Carolina Amparo majoring in Political Science  
  • Kimberly Stanislo, D.N.P., Adjunct Instructor of Nursing, nominated by a graduate student, Charlotte Patterson  
  • Robert Wyllie, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Political Science, nominated by two seniors, Anne Casey majoring in Philosophy and Caleb Shriver majoring in Political Economy. 

Dr. Carlos Campo, president of the AU, praised the recipients for their dedication to the student success and stated final remarks of the meeting.