Unified basketball gives AU students unique athletic opportunity  

Anyone who is interested in the program should go to the Rec Center from 6 – 8 p.m. on Fridays
Sam Vincent
Basketball court in the Ashland University Recreation Center 

The new Unified Basketball league begins this Friday, Jan. 26.

It is a unique opportunity for AU students to collaborate with Special Olympic Athletes in a team setting. 

“We are actually still looking for additional students so anyone interested or with questions can reach out to me directly.” said Nick Sparr, organizer of the program. He further added that this program was last offered on campus in 2020 and was great for everyone who participated. He wants to bring it back to the same level it was then. 

Anyone who is interested in the program should go to the Rec Center from 6 8 p.m. on Friday starting this week.

It will run for five weeks. “The first week will be a skills evaluation to divide up four teams equally. The following three weeks will be the regular season with the last week being the playoffs followed by an awards ceremony.”

Sparr said of what participants can expect from Unified Basketball. “I would say we’re making it really simple to join and get involved with the league. Anyone who participates will be making a big difference on the success and impact of the program.”  

Unified Basketball is a great and unique opportunity for regular students to participate in a league with Special Olympic students and doesn’t even require much time.

As Sparr explained, the league only requires five nights total of one to two hours over the five weeks it will occur, and the impact it will have for Special Olympic Athletes is truly significant. 

If you are interested in learning more about Unified Basketball, you can visit the Rec Center’s Instagram page @AUrecwell or contact its email [email protected].