‘Thunder and Lightning’: The Eagle backfield continues impressive strides

Martin and Washington combined for over 1,400 yards on the ground this season with a combined 15 touchdowns
Eagle+running+back+GeiVonni+Washington+takes+off+past+a+Northwood+tackler.+
Mike Hopkins
Eagle running back Gei’Vonni Washington takes off past a Northwood tackler.

The running back duo of Gei’vonni Washington and Larry Martin has been the legs behind the Ashland ground game all season long, capping off both of their careers. 

Washington and Martin took over the backfield duties as sophomores and have been the “thunder and lightning” behind the Eagles heavily relied upon run game ever since. The dynamic between the bigger framed Martin and speed of Washington has created a handful for opposing defenses to deal with. 

Last season it was Washington leading the charge of being the No.1 back, but this year that role flipped to Martin, showing the ability of both players to fill the responsibilities evenly. 

“We have a 1A and a 1B, and it’s just a matter of one of the guys being better for situational runs more than the other. In a game against a team like Ferris, Geo is the way to go,” said Head Coach Doug Geiser. 

“In a game where we are kind of slugging away it is more Larry’s forte, so it just depends on the matchups. We do need both that’s for sure, they are the thunder and lightning that can hopefully strike in the same game,” he continued. 

Not only on the field are they impacting defenses, but off the field they are impacting each other. Being together side by side for three plus years, they created a connection that drives one another to be better than they were before. 

It is great having a partner like Larry to run the ball with me. Pretty often we always motivate each other to do a little more out there on the field whether it’s practice or a game,” said Washington. 

Vying for more playing time may be a factor in the two’s strictly football relationship, but friendship is the driving force behind the two’s personal connection. When talking about Washington, Martin relayed why all the running backs are so close even beyond those two. 

“[Washington] is my best friend, but we are all really close in the running back room along with Eli [Potts] and Pat [Blubaugh]. We are always working on and off the field, looking for ways we can help each other with our game,” said Martin. 

“I ask him [Washington] what I can help on, and he asks me the same. It’s really competitive between us but it’s really good,” he continued. 

Martin and Washington combined for over 1,400 yards on the ground this season with a combined 15 touchdowns in the 2023 regular season. But they aren’t finished just yet, with the duo now leading the backfield in one more game in the America’s Crossroads Bowl on Dec. 1. 

“The game gives us one more chance to reward our players for their season and specifically the seniors for their work throughout the years,” said Geiser. 

The Eagles will have two spots to fill in the backfield heading into next season, but with the bonding and standard Martin and Washington memories of friendship and competitive spirit will live on between the two.