AU men’s soccer finds draw on the road in 0-0 affair against Cavaliers

The Eagles fall to fifth in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference table
Gabby Diehl
Eagle forward Sam Jordan dribbles the ball at midfield at Ferguson Field.

The Ashland University men’s soccer team has now gone three games without a win, with two draws and a loss coming within that span.

On Saturday, Oct. 21, the Eagles and the Walsh University Cavaliers went up against one another at Larry Staudt Field, with the highly intense outing ending in a 0-0 scoreline. The Eagles and Cavaliers racked up a total of 32 shots, with none finding the back netting.

The first half was highlighted by 10 shots from the Eagles, while the Cavaliers took nine. Of the 19 shots, five ended up on frame for the Eagles, and four ended up on frame for the Cavaliers.

The Cavaliers were primarily on the offensive attack as they ended up taking seven corner kicks, yet none resulted in any real chances for the ball to find the back netting.

Alongside a lot of offensive and defensive efforts, physicality was a massive factor through the first 45 minutes as 19 total fouls were called with one yellow card being given out to Eagle midfielder Matthew Roberts.

Heading into halftime, with the large amount of shots being taken, the expectation was set that a goal would be found.

However, that would not be the case.

With a hectic, fast-paced and sloppy storyline being showcased in the first half, the second half would be much less active. The Eagles took nine shots while the Cavaliers took just four, and the fouls saw a much lesser amount with six in total.

Of those six fouls, defender Aurel Veit and forward Pedro Faria were both given yellow cards marking a total of three throughout the game.

Still, no goals were found as the scorline ended with two goose eggs on the board.

The Eagles were led by Roberts who took five shots, forward Oliver Whaley who took five and midfielder Rodri Fernandez who took four.

For the Eagles, the 0-0 outing was the first result of that nature since a home outing against Tiffin University back in 2021.

The Eagles move to 5-7-3 overall on the season and 5-3-3 in conference play, while the Cavaliers move to 6-5-3 overall and 4-5-2 in conference play.

Up next, the Eagles will prepare to take on the Cedarville Yellow Jackets on Wednesday, Oct. 25 with kickoff set for 6:30 P.M. at Ferguson Field.