Ashland University’s Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion announces new name 

The new name for the office is “The Office of Community and Belonging”. 
Ashland Universitys campus just after a morning sunrise in Ashland, Ohio.
Ashland University’s campus just after a morning sunrise in Ashland, Ohio.

On Oct. 6, at faculty senate, an announcement was made that the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion has a name change. 

The members of the committee that were invited in March to a meeting for the naming of the office are as follows: 

• Randy Spade 
  • Dr. Peter Slade 
  • Dr. Craig Hovey 
  • Alex Hill 
  • Dr. Oscar McKnight 
  • Tiffany Sims 
  • Tyler Rice 
  • Cara McKeown 
  • Katelyn Roach 

The Collegian was able to attain a response from the former director of The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Brielle Nettles, from an excerpt. 

“I am writing to share the process by which the name “The Office of Community and Belonging was selected,” said Nettles. “Dr. Campo initially suggested “The Office of Hope, Unity, and Belonging.” 

Nettles did not participate in the final decision but did help in facilitating the process.  

The first suggestion that was given by the committee was “The Office of Community and Unity,” but Nettles thought this was repetitive and redundant. 

“After careful reflection, I came to believe that the words Community and Belonging, which combined the suggestions from Dr. Campo and the committee sounded better and more fully reflected the work we wanted to accomplish,” said Nettles. 

Nettles proposed the name “The Office of Community and Belonging,” and the committee agreed that it was overall stronger eventually leading to the name getting approved.  

An alternative name was also suggested and approved which is “The Office of CommUNITY and Belonging.”  

It is unknown at this time when the new name for the office will move into full effect.