AU women’s soccer route Dragons at home, 4-0, to protect undefeated record

The Eagles improve to 11-0-1 on the season and 7-0-1 in conference play
Ben Nichols
Eagle forward Allison King takes a free kick against the Tiffin Dragons at home.

Go 2-0 each week, protect the “Ferg” and raise the standard. That is the motto the Ashland University women’s soccer team lives by week in and week out as they look to remain undefeated in the 2023-24 season.

On Wednesday, Oct. 11, the Eagles paid host to the Tiffin University Dragons for Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC) play, and protected that motto as they downed the Dragons, 4-0.

“I think the standard we set here has allowed us to be recognized at the national level,” said Eagle Head Coach Cayleb Paulino. “Our job now is to have this recognition to not be comfortable and continue to raise the standard.”

To begin the first half, both teams exchanged blows as they looked to open up the game with a score.

The Eagles took control of the first five minutes, keeping pressure on the Dragons’ defense. However, right after that, the Dragons took their turn and for the next five minutes attempted to mount an aggressive attack of their own.

Both teams would come up short, as they continued to battle back and forth throughout the first half.

With their third corner kick of the game, the Eagles slotted the ball perfectly to the back post, and with the ball in limbo, forward McKinley Mendenhall shot the ball into the bottom right corner, giving the Eagles a 1-0 lead. That goal would come just 17 minutes into the first half.

As they began to garner momentum the Eagles continued to push the ball forward offensively. Just two minutes later they would have another corner kick, and just like before, history would repeat itself.

In the 19th minute, the ball bounced around after a corner kick before finding the back of the net. This time, the goal would come from midfielder Merrik Mihalek who found her fifth of the season.

At halftime, adjustments needed to be made by the Dragons as they looked to bounce back and return from a two-goal deficit.

“Ashland is a great squad and I have tremendous respect of Coach Paulino and the players,” said Dragon Head Coach Michael Cracas. “We just need to focus on our style and how we execute. If we focus too much on them then we will lose focus on what we need to do.”

For the Eagles, maintaining a consistently strong and resilient defensive line.

“We are a resilient team,” said Paulino. “Our strengths through the first ten games of this season has been our back line and defending pieces.”

In the second half, the defense would continue to remain on top as they kept the sheet clean for the Eagles while allowing zero shots. Offensively, they continued to push the pace of play as they recorded 12 shots with two finding the back of the net.

Those goals would come from forward Allison King and forward Sydney Polen.

King would find her score in the 51st minute, just six minutes into the second half. After a corner kick, the Dragons would be called for a hand ball inside the box, leading to a penalty kick. She would blast the ball into the bottom left corner, pushing the lead to three.

The Eagles were not done yet though as just 10 minutes later the final goal of the contest would be found.

This one would come from Polen as she headed in a saved shot from the Dragon goalkeeper that was rebounded into the perfect spot.

The Eagles and Dragons would continue tussling for the remaining 30 minutes, with the Eagles holding majority of the possession en route to a comfortable 4-0 win.

The four goals came from King, Mendenhall, Polen and Mihalek, as the Eagles continue to receive help from a variety of different players.

With the win, the team improved to 11-0-1 on the season and 7-0-1 in conference play with six games remaining in the regular season.

The Eagles next look to take on the Lake Erie College Storm on Saturday, Oct. 14, with kickoff set for 6:30 P.M. at Ferguson Field.

“The goal every week for us is to go 2-0,” said Paulino. “Mid-week games are usually the toughest. Our job is to start the week with a win and prepare well for us to be successful in our goal.”