AU women’s soccer remains No. 1 in nation for fifth straight week

The Eagles head into a new week with a 10-0-1 undefeated record
Avery Rosso
Eagle defender Myah Giordullo continues through her second season as a primary starting back for the team.

For five weeks, the Ashland University women’s soccer team has put the nation on notice at the Division II level as they continue to dominate each opponent they cross paths with. Entering the week of Oct. 9, the Eagles sit with a 10-0-1 record, while sitting 6-0-1 in conference play.

On Tuesday, Oct. 10, the newest rendition of the United Soccer Coaches Top 25 NCAA D-II women’s soccer poll was released with the Eagles being slotted, once again, as the No. 1 team in the nation.

This past week, the Eagles went up against the Lake Erie College Storm and Thomas More Saints, dominating them 4-1 and 3-0 respectively. Through the opening 11 outings, the Eagles are outscoring its opponents 31-3, marking just one goal allowed per 10 scored.

They are also outshooting opponents by an average of 13 shots per game to just six. With such a high volume of shots being taken, the team has seen 12 different players find the back of the net this season.

Those include four freshmen, three seniors, three juniors and two sophomores.

The Eagles’ 10-0-1 start to the season, has been the program’s best start through 11 games since the 2001 season where the team that year went on to go 16-1-1. The only loss they received came against Northern Kentucky where they fell 4-0 in the NCAA Postseason Tournament.

Outside of the 2001 campaign, the Eagles’ only other “one-loss-season” came in the 2003 campaign where they went 16-1-2, falling in the NCAA Postseason Tournament once again, but in penalty kicks.

However, present day, the Eagles are sitting comfortably in the driver’s seat as they look to turn the page and put another mark in the history books. With an undefeated record through two games, the team is gearing up to finish Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC) play in the coming weeks.

This week, the Eagles will take on the Tiffin University Dragons on Wednesday, Oct. 11, with kickoff set for 3:30 P.M. and the Lake Erie College Storm on Saturday, Oct. 14, with kickoff set for 6:30 P.M.