Eagles down Storm, 3-0, push win streak to seven straight

The Eagles now lead the program series, 17-1, with the team’s only loss coming in 2015
Ben Nichols
The Eagles rejoice after scoring a point against the Storm this past Saturday.

The Ashland University volleyball team competed this past weekend against the Lake Erie College storm at home in the team’s last outing before they head on the road for the Midwest Region Crossover Tournament.

On Saturday, Oct. 7, the Eagles paid host to the Storm, sweeping them in a 3-0 series while pushing the team’s current win streak to seven games.

“I am proud of our team and the steps we have taken to get better. this past weekend showed what Ashland volleyball is,” said sophomore Eagle Chloe Sherrieb.

To begin, AU honored a local high school athlete, who just a week ago had passed away. Mapleton High School senior Bre McKean, who sadly passed away, was a member of her school’s volleyball team. A moment of silence was held for the 17-year-old and the Mapleton school flag was seen hanging from the windows above the court.

All ticket proceeds went to the

After the moment of silence was complete, the Eagles shifted gears and prepared for the contest as they looked to extend the team’s win streak

In the first set, the Eagles came out swinging as they dominated from start to finish. They were able to take the first few set points, giving them a comfortable 6-3 lead over the Storm.

However, they would go on a tear, winning the next seven points to produce a 10-point lead, 13-3.

They would then waltz to a 25-14 win to open the outing and take a 1-0 series lead.

Just like the first set, the second set would also showcase the Eagles’ red-hot play. They would produce a similar result as they took the second set, 25-16. Heading into the final set, the Eagles were in the driver’s seat as they were hitting over .300 as a team, which would be one of the team’s top performances of the season.

In the third and final set the Storm were no match for the onslaught that would be the Eagles’ attacking prowl. The Eagles allowed just eight total points while dropping 25 on the Storm in the 17-point win.

The set would be highlighted by two six-point and a five-point streak of points without the Storm responding. The Eagles remain ontop of the historical series between the two sides, 17-1, with the Eagles’ last loss to them coming in the 2015 season.

The win gives the Eagles a seven game win streak, while moving them to 15-4 on the season and 9-1 in conference play.

They next look to head into the Midwest Crossover Tournament on Friday, Oct. 13, with game time and opponent yet to be determined.