Eagle men move to second in conference standings after 2-1 win over Storm

The Eagles now sit 4-5-2 on the season and 4-1-2 in conference play
Gabby Diehl
Eagle Vander Rocha celebrates after scoring a goal for the men’s soccer team.

The Ashland University men’s soccer team has found recent success after starting the 2023-24 campaign with a four-game losing streak in non-conference play. The Eagles have now won three games straight, and have a sole hold on second play in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC) standings.

On Wednesday, Oct. 4, the Eagles went up against the Lake Erie College Storm on the road and returned back to Ferguson Field with a 2-1 win under the team’s belt.

In the first half of play, the Eagles came out and struck quickly.

Eagle senior midfielder Vander Rocha, put the opening goal onto the board in the 13th minute, scoring his fourth goal of the season. Through the opening 11 outings, he leads the team in shots on the season with 29 while having 15 of them on goal.

The Eagles then maintained the early 1-0 lead, with momentum on the team’s side. They would go on to record four more shots on offense, while defensively goalkeeper Ty Bowden helped keep the sheet clean with one save.

However, in the 32nd minute, the Storm would catch the Eagle defense sleeping as forward Maximilian Lintschinger found the back of the net, bringing the game level at one. The goal allowed by the Eagles would be just the second in the past three outings.

Just two minutes later, the Eagles would strike back, taking back the lead with a goal from Rocha, his second of the game and fifth of the season.

With three goals occurring in the first half and the Eagles leading by one, the two teams headed into halftime expecting for the second half to represent a similar storyline.

When the second half began, the Eagles recorded two quick shots as they looked to extend the lead.

While none were able to find the back netting, it set the pace for the final 45 minutes of play.

The Eagles would go on to record five shots, while the Storm recorded seven. Even an abundance of shots being taken, neither team found a second half goal as the scoreline remained in favor of the Eagles, 2-1. Bowden was able to save three shots in the second half, keeping his stellar play alive as he looked to protect his GMAC Defensive Player of the Week honor.

The Eagles would finish the game with a one goal lead, 2-1, as they recorded the team’s third straight victory, fourth straight contest without a loss.

They improve to 4-5-2 on the season and 4-1-2 in GMAC play. The Eagles also moved to No. 2 in conference standings, sitting just behind the Tiffin Dragons by three points.

The Eagles next look to take on the Thomas More Saints on Saturday, Oct. 7, with kickoff set for 12:00 P.M. at Ferguson Field.