Ashland University Student Senate discusses new opportunities

Senators in talks of next week’s retreat 
Sophie+Major+getting+sworn+into+her+new+position.+
Madison Ferrell
Sophie Major getting sworn into her new position.

On Tuesday, Oct. 3 meeting, the student senators discussed leadership and learning opportunities for their own personal growth and gain.  

One example of this was the Propel Ohio Collegiate Leadership Summit at Case Western Reserve University this Friday Oct. 6 where four students and Dr. Pool will be attending.  

Next week, on Oct. 17, instead of a meeting there will be the Student Senate retreat at the normal meeting time in Dauch.  

There, the senators will learn the procedures and will go over Robert’s rules of orders about how to write a resolution. 

“Essentially, the retreat is how to train you to become a senator,” said AU Student Senate President, Zachary Scher. 

Scher commented that the senators should look out for more information on the retreat and an exact time but that there will be paper minutes instead.  

The executive board recently added the senators to Microsoft Teams, it will provide their constitution which explicitly lays out what your responsibilities are and has details about committees and other resources. 

Later in an executive session, they discussed the appointment of Sophie Major as Senator of Veteran and Military Services. Major ended up officially getting approved and sworn into the Senate.  

Student senate meetings are hosted in the ABCD conference room in the Hawkins-Conard Student Center every Tuesday at 9:30 p.m.