AU men’s soccer dominates rival Oilers on the road, 5-1

The Eagles’ 2023-24 season comeback continues on the road, improving to 3-5-2
The+Eagles+took+down+the+Panthers+4-0+on+Wednesday%2C+Sept.+27.+
Gabby Diehl
The Eagles took down the Panthers 4-0 on Wednesday, Sept. 27.

The Ashland University men’s soccer team has had a rough start to the 2023-24 campaign as they went winless through non-conference play. However, the Eagles looked to turn the page in conference play, as through the opening five outings the team sat at a record of 2-1-2.

Fortunately for the Eagles, after dominating Ohio Dominican just days ago, they continued the team’s stellar play, downing the Findlay Oilers, 5-1, after 90 minutes of action.

To begin the contest, in the sixth minute, the Oilers looked to have an opportunity but a save from Eagle goalkeeper Ty Bowden would keep the game level. Throughout the opening 20 minutes, both sides traded blows as they attempted to get onto the scoring column first.

The Eagles then ramped up the offensive aggression and in the 21st minute, Eagle forward Pedro Faria found the back of the net unassisted, giving the team a 1-0 lead. With the Oilers back peddling, the offense would continue its prowl.

Just one minute later in the 22nd minute, Eagle forward Vander Rocha dished a clean ball to midfielder Teddy Togliatti, who finished easily, pushing the lead to two. Even with such a lead coming out of nowhere, the Eagles were not done yet as they would find one more goal in the first half.

This next goal would come in the 25th minute from forward Rodrigo Fernandez who was assisted by fifth-year standout Oliver Whaley. The Eagles would head into halftime with a comfortable 3-0 lead.

To begin the second half, the Eagles showcased control of the outing.

They would continue to push the pace of play on offense, recording three shots to begin the final 45 minutes of play. Defensively, they would stand strong and avoid mistakes, keeping the Oilers off the board.

In the 69th minute, the Eagles would get back on the board again for the teams fourth goal of the contest. This one would come from Rocha, who would score his third goal of the season. On the goal he was assisted by Rodriguez, who scored a goal of his own earlier in the outing.

After scoring the teams fourth goal, the Oilers would finally find one as in the 73rd minute, Oiler Christian Palushaj knocked in a penalty kick. That would be the only score made by the Oilers.

The Eagles would add on one more goal, coming in the 74th minute, just one minute after the previous goal. This would come from the foot of midfielder Sergio Ruiz for his first goal of the season.

For the Eagles, Bowden recorded five saves while allowing one goal.

After the win, the team moved to 3-5-2 overall on the season and 3-1-2 in Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC) play. The Oilers on the other hand fall to 3-3-3 overall and 1-3-2 in conference play.

The Eagles next look to take on the Lake Erie College Storm on the road on Wednesday, Oct. 4, with kickoff set for 3:30 p.m.