AU hires Jason Miller as New VP of Institutional Advancement 

Miller was born and raised in Ashland, Ohio
Jason Miller takes over as new VP of Institutional Advancement

Jason Miller started serving as the new Vice President of Institutional Advancement at Ashland University on Sept. 1, following in his parent’s footsteps who both served as faculty here at the university.  

Miller was born and raised in Ashland and graduated with a bachelor’s degree from AU in 1996. He majored in marketing with a minor in management. He also pitched for the baseball team for four years.

Upon graduation from AU, Miller worked in pharmaceutical sales in Detroit for 15 years. 

He met his wife in Detroit at William Beaumont Hospital and had a daughter shortly after moving to Columbus.  

In 2011, Miller and his family moved back to Ashland after he was hired as a Major Gift Officer. 

Miller credits part of his experience and love for the university to his parents who are AU alumni. His mother worked in the College of Business while his father worked in the College of Education.  

“The institutional knowledge I had about relationship skills I credit to the pharmaceutical world,” Miller states. 

The main responsibility of the Department of Institutional Advancement is to bring awareness and raise money for the Ashland Fund, which helps to build new facilities for the university. The department also travels to highlight university visions to alums, such as professional athletes and various corporations to help raise money.

There are about 15 people who work in the office with Miller. He said that his favorite part about working in this position is the people. He enjoys coming to work every day while sharing the same initiative with others working here and hopes to let everyone see what a special place AU is.

“I have such a great team of people around me,” said Miller. “It is work, but when you enjoy what you do, it’s not really work.” 

Miller and his department hope to increase meaningful involvement and grow the university in a positive way alongside the President, Director of Athletics, and Executive Leadership teams such as Business Affairs and Student Affairs. 

“Jason is a positive leader who has a vast amount of experience in fundraising,” said Lorie Meister, the Records & Reporting manager in Advancement Services. “He will be an asset to the Advancement Department as he continues to share this experience, moving the University forward in its fundraising efforts.”