The benefits of AU’s study abroad program

Students have the ability to learn while traveling the country
Submitted by AU Study Abroad
Eagle students take a photo together while in Rome, Italy.

Each year Ashland University offers the opportunity to study abroad, which is defined as a great introduction to travel.  

The AU faculty teaches an AU class abroad to AU students. In these programs, students take a spring semester course, travel as a group in May, and complete a final project based on what they learned about.  

“Students get to learn through travel,” said Rebecca Parillo, director of Study Abroad, claiming this statement as the main benefit of studying abroad. 

According to Parillo, some of the benefits of the program include being a part of service projects and helping at non-profits like students did last summer in Tuscany.  

This year, the Study Abroad program is offering tours in Munich and Amsterdam, a Navajo reservation in Albuquerque, and Tuscany. 

Students will also have the opportunity to see things they may have never seen before like the Navajo Immersion program.  

“The Navajo Immersion program takes students to a modern medical facility that has traditional practices on its location, like sweat lodges,” said Parillo.  

On the upcoming College of Business and Economics Munich and Amsterdam tour, students will visit the Converse and Nike distribution plants. On the Germany tour, students will focus on World War II and the Holocaust as they visit a concentration camp and other key locations related to WWII.  

All of the programs meet AU students’ Critical Cultural Inquiry requirements.  

“The Study Abroad Office also offers independent summer and semester programs, plus student teaching abroad,” said Parillo.  

Rebecca Parillo encourages anyone interested in learning more about the program to email her at [email protected]