City and university work together to improve crosswalk safety

Halee Heironimus

Crosswalk safety can be a challenging subject when it comes to two parties, motorists and pedestrians, understanding the rules.

The crosswalk on the intersection of Claremont Avenue and Jefferson has received the most attention regarding crosswalk safety following safety concerns from students, staff and residents.

“That’s really what precipitated the installation of the new [pedestrian] flashers several years ago,” said Rick Ewing, vice president of facilities management and planning. “But we continue to see how there’s more things that we can do.”

In early February, Ewing went to an Ashland City Council meeting to discuss further steps to take to make the crosswalk safer for motorists and pedestrians.

Three points were made in the meeting. First, motorists need to know how they’re supposed to treat crosswalks. Second, pedestrians need to be more alert when using crosswalks. And third, things like lighting, signaling and safety awareness needs to be implemented.

Ewing mentioned that he received complaints about motorists having a hard time seeing pedestrians in the crosswalk. Following that discussion, Ashland City Mayor Glen Steward, an Ashland Police Chief and other city council members went out to the Claremont Avenue and Jefferson intersection to evaluate the crosswalk in the dark.

While there was already a street light on the north side, or recreation center side, of the street, it was decided that one streetlight wasn’t illuminating the whole crosswalk.

On March 4, a new streetlight was installed on the south side, or Kem Hall side, of Claremont Avenue.

“We were made aware that we had a problem that we were hoping we could remedy,” said Stewart. “We have taken step one whether there is another step to take has yet to be seen.”

The next step of the process could be clearing up the misunderstandings of the rules of crosswalks to both motorists and pedestrians.

Technically, if a student is on the curb waiting to cross, traffic does not have to stop and motorists have the right away. It is once the pedestrian is in the crosswalk that traffic has to yield.

“Too many times traffic or pedestrians don’t know those [rules] and cars will stop expecting someone to step out while other cars don’t expect them to stop,” said Ewing. “It’s certainly both parties need to be very engaged and actively viewing their surroundings.”

While both parties need to be aware of the situation, it is important for pedestrians to be smart when crossing a main road.

“It’s not very smart to challenge a car,” said Stewart. “If you see a car coming I suggest you don’t step in front of it until you know they’re going to stop. Let’s face it, as a pedestrian you’re going to lose.”

Continuous communication with Ashland University students and educating drivers about crosswalk safety can help both parties clear the misunderstanding of crosswalks.

“The biggest thing is just paying attention,” said Ewing. “As I said too many times people step out on the crosswalk and think they’re good. Well you can’t rely on the motorists always see them or to adhere to what the regulations and the laws are. So being active about your own safety is the biggest thing. Be careful about where you walk.”

AU and the city of Ashland are continuously working together to make crosswalk situations safe for everyone.

“I’m very pleased that the city and the university are working together on this effort,” said Ewing. “They’ve been very engaging with us and vice versa. We’re all interested in keeping a safe campus and a safe community. I think those partnerships are important in having success with an issue like this.”