Eagles remain undefeated in scoreless draw against Trojans

The No. 1 nationally ranked Eagles move to 5-0-1 on the season
Ashland Athletics
Goalkeeper Mackenzie Simon makes a save for the Eagles

The Ashland University women’s soccer team has been ranked as the No. 1 team in the country for two straight weeks now, marking the first team in program history to be voted the top-ranked team in the country twice. The team’s ranking and poise showed when they traveled seven hours south to take on the Trevecca Nazarene Trojans.

In the outing, the Eagles battled throughout the entire outing, but the Trojans would not break, holding them off at home and squeaking away with a 0-0 draw when the final whistle blew after 90 minutes of action.

To begin the first half of play, the two sides battled back and forth against one another. While neither side was able to get a score on the board, the Eagles dominated the pace of play offensively.

They were able to outshoot the Trojans 10-1, while also recording eight total corner kicks while the Trojans had zero. With little production coming from the Trojan offense, the defense needed to stand strong and that they did.

Through the Eagles 10 shots, just two would be on goal.

Heading into the second half, the Eagles were looking to protect its undefeated record.

They once again, just like the first half, came out with full force and put the pressure on early. The offensive aggression maintained from the first half and the Eagles would take 10 total shots.

However, through those 10 shots just one would be on goal.

The Trojans on the other hand finally were able to produce something offensively as they recorded five shots, two of which were on goal. Eagle goalkeeper Mackenzie Simon was easily able to collect both, as she kept the scoreline clean for the fifth time this season.

When all was said and done, the Eagles ultimately outshot the Trojans 20-5 and recorded seven more corner kicks. However, even with such high volume they were unable to find a goal, finding the teams first tie of the season.

The 0-0 draw was the Eagles first such event since Oct. 23, 2021, when the Eagles took on the University of Findlay at home.

The Eagles will next take on the Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers on Saturday, Sept. 23, on the road in Owensboro, Ky. with kickoff set for 2 p.m.