Eagles honored in Week Two of GMAC POTW awards

Eagle women’s soccer and volleyball recognized for stellar efforts
Eagles honored in GMAC Player of the Week awards once again.

Ashland University’s athletic programs have been historically constantly recognized for incredible efforts on the field and off.

In Week Two of the Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC) weekly awards, the Eagles had two athletes awarded for the contributions they provided on the field for their respective teams. Those athletes would be Makenna Belcher for the volleyball team and Mackenzie Simon for the women’s soccer team.

On Monday, Sept. 11, the conference announced that Simon and Belcher had been named GMAC Players of the Week.

Belcher, who helped lead the Eagles to a 2-2 record over the weekend at the University of Indianapolis Invitational. The Eagles now sit at a record of 6-2 on the season.

At the tournament, she recorded 67 kills, 46 digs, eight service aces and three total blocks over the course of four contests. She also brought home a .304 hitting percentage, one of the Eagles’ highest of the season.

Through eight contests on the season, she has a total of 321 total attacks and 107 kills which is first on the team, while also recording 12 service aces which is second on the team.

The volleyball team will look to take on the Gannon Golden Knights at home on Wednesday, Sept. 13, at 7 p.m. in the teams final non-conference outing of the season.

For the women’s soccer team, Simon helped lead the defense to just one goal through two contests this past week. Against Saginaw Valley State she allowed just one goal while facing seven shots and hauling in four saves. Just two days later the Eagles took on the No. 4 nationally ranked Ferris State Bulldogs and Simon showed out.

In the outing, she allowed zero goals while recording seven shots faced and zero saves. The defense for the Eagles has continued to show out, and with the leadership from Simon, they have put the conference on notice.

The team as a whole has allowed one goal through four contests, while racking on eight total goals. They will look to start conference play on Saturday, Sept. 16 against the Malone Pioneers at 5:30 p.m. on the road.