Eagles fall on the road against Gannon, start season 0-3

The Eagles fell to the Golden Knights 3-1 in a struggling loss
Avery Rosso
Eagle defender Aurel Veit stands as he prepares to take a free kick.

The Ashland University men’s soccer team has started the 2023 fall season with three straight losses to top-tier non-conference opponents. They started the season against the No. 5 NCAA Division II nationally-ranked Charleston Golden Eagles, falling 3-1, before taking on Millersville, taking a 3-2 loss.

However, after two losses at home, the Eagles were hoping to put the struggles behind them as they took on the Gannon Golden Knights, but those inefficiencies and mistakes kept seeping through the cracks as they fell 3-1.

In the first half of play, the Eagles went down off the rip.

Golden Knights’ midfielder Sverre Orten quickly found himself on the attacking front and just three minutes into the contest sliced his way past the Eagles’ defense. With his right foot, he slotted the ball perfectly past Eagle goalkeeper Zach Harrison for the opening goal.

Now that the Eagles were trailing early, they quickly found themselves trying to tie back up the game.

They would take five shots in the first half, with three going on target. However, Golden Knight goalkeeper Samuel Alarcon was on his A-game as he saved all three, keeping the Eagles off the board and the scoreline with a 1-0 lead.

Both teams were physical and aggressive as a total of 16 fouls were committed in the first half.

Heading into halftime, the referee at centerstage attempted to keep things calm as he issued one yellow card as a warning to both sides. The Eagles remained down by one goal.

In the second half, the Eagles were still in the contest, with just one goal separating the two sides. However, that storyline would change within two minutes of the second half beginning.

Golden Knight forward Benjamin Querling put relentless pressure on the Eagles’ defense and instantly found a score, giving the team a 2-0 lead in the 47th minute. Another would be found just 17 minutes later in the 64th minute as the Golden Knights would go up 3-0, ultimately putting the contest away.

The Eagles would find one goal as the contest came to a close in the 87th minute as midfielder Oliver Whaley found his second goal of the season. The final score would favor Gannon as they pulled off a 3-1 win.

With an overall record of 0-3, the Eagles have another tough task in front of them as they take on Mercyhurst University on Saturday, Sept. 9 at home with kickoff set for 3 p.m. at Ferguson Field.