Eagle men’s soccer start 0-2 for the first time since the 2019 season

The Eagles will look for their first win of the season against Gannon on Wednesday
Eagle+mens+soccer+players+Vander+Rocha%2C+Sam+Jordan+and+Oliver+Whaley+stand+in+defeat+after+a+loss+against+Millersville.+
Avery Rosso
Eagle men’s soccer players Vander Rocha, Sam Jordan and Oliver Whaley stand in defeat after a loss against Millersville.

The Ashland University men’s soccer team has started its 2023 campaign with two losses against non-conference opponents at home.

On Thursday, Aug. 31, the Eagles took on No. 5 nationally ranked Charleston and fell to them in a 3-1 outing. Just days later on Saturday, Sept. 3, the Eagles were unable to recover in time for a bounce-back win as they lost once again, this time, 3-2 against Millersville University.

In the first half of play, the two sides battled back and forth early as they combined for 11 total shots taken. Of those 11 shots, three were on target with Marauders goalkeeper Jack Gabler making two saves and Eagles goalkeeper Zach Harrison making one.

The Eagles were on the offensive front for the entirety of the first half, putting relentless pressure on the Marauders defense.

Heading into halftime, the scoreboard still saw zeroes on the board as neither team was able to find the go-ahead goal.

The first goal of the outing would be found by midfielder Bob Hennessey in the 54th minute as he cleanly finished the ball past Harrison with the first shot of the second half.

Down a score, the Eagles started to ramp up the team’s pressure and offensive aggression. Just 18 minutes after the Marauders went up 1-0, Eagle midfielder Sam Jordan received a clean ball from midfielder Oliver Whaley before finishing it into the back netting to tie up the game.

Just seven minutes later in the 79th minute, the Eagles found another goal.

This time it came from new addition, midfielder Rodrigo Fernandez, who went unassisted with a go-ahead goal.
Now with a 2-1 lead, the Eagles were in a prime position to finish off the contest with a win.

However, the travelling Marauders had a different outcome in mind.

In the 81st minute, defender Mike Kreider went unassisted as he tied up the game. Six minutes later, they found the game winner from Hennessey as he was assisted by midfielder Connor Fiadino.

With another loss, the Eagles remain as one-of-three left in the conference that lost both opening games to start the season. The other teams are Lake Erie and Ohio Dominican.

Next, the Eagles will gear up to take on the Gannon Golden Knights on the road on Wednesday, Sept. 6, with kickoff set for 3 p.m.