Editorial: Be a thorn in the side of the administration

Faculty adjunct instructor Ted Daniels leaves university after two years
1,306 Views
Former+adjunct+instructor+Ted+Daniels+has+extensive+experience+in+the+world+of+Journalism+with+his+work+in+The+Indianapolis+Star%2C+Times-Gazette+and%2C+most+recently%2C+The+Collegian%2C+Ashland+Universitys+award-winning%2C+student+run+and+edited+newspaper.+
Brynn Meisse
Former adjunct instructor Ted Daniels has extensive experience in the world of Journalism with his work in The Indianapolis Star, Times-Gazette and, most recently, The Collegian, Ashland University’s award-winning, student run and edited newspaper.

The last words former adjunct instructor Ted Daniels left me with before departing the campus of Ashland University: “Be a thorn in the side of the administration.”

That is what I will continue to do.

The Collegian has faced more in the first two weeks before classes start than in years past.

Before coming back, I emailed Dr. Aaron Ross, the assistant to AU president Dr. Carlos Campo, to set up biweekly interviews with the president to comment on different stories the editors were working on and for the first interview to be set for the week of August 14.

Ross told me that the president was unavailable till August 31, so I tried asking, saying how important it was to ensure our stories were accurate and ensure that students, faculty, and the community had all the correct information. He responded that the president is busy and has no time in his schedule, so I accepted the interview on August 31.

When I returned to campus, I emailed him again asking if there was any time in the president’s schedule for an interview for the week of August 14, and there was nothing again. I tried multiple times to get ahold of scheduling an interview with the president, but all attempts failed.

The stories that we needed comments from the president were:

– The DEI name change

– The budget

– Enrollment

– Dr. Campo’s departure from the university

I understand that Dr. Campo has a busy schedule, but these stories are for the students and The Collegian wanted accurate information.

I remember on Friday, August 18, the Ashland Source posted an article about a reflection on Dr. Campo’s nine years at Ashland University. In the article, it referenced how the interview took place on August 16.

Here is what I am confused about why he would have time in his schedule to talk to the Ashland Source, but not to the student-run newspaper at Ashland University, The Collegian after I was told the president only has time on August 31.

I was frustrated by this because I had been trying to reach and set up an interview for a while.

That was only the first major problem of the week. Later that week, The Collegian staff found out our adviser would be told to leave the university roughly a week before classes started. This caused a major issue, and why was he being told to leave.

The university told our adviser, Ted Daniels, he could no longer teach because The Collegian was doing “too much investigative journalism”. I thought this was the whole point of journalism was to investigate what is going on and report on what is happening.

This year, I am going to stand by Ted Daniel’s words and continue to find what is going on, and to make sure students, faculty, and the community are getting the correct information.

The Collegian will continue to be the news source for all things Ashland University and find the truth wherever it is hiding.

4
View Comments (4)