Eagle volleyball placed No. 1 in conference preseason rankings poll

The Eagles finished the 2022 regular season in the No. 1 spot in the conference
Ashland Athletics
Eagle junior Lauren Welch high-fives her teammate during a conference contest in the 2022 season.

The Ashland University volleyball team is looking to continue their impressive play in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC) since joining prior to the 2021 season.

With success in previous years, the GMAC preseason poll voters placed the Eagles in first place as projected winners of the South Division.

In the team’s inaugural season, the team finished in second place just behind the Hillsdale Chargers after falling to them in the conference championship, 3-1. Even though they fell in the opening round, they were winners of the South Division during the regular season.

In the team’s second campaign, they showcased even more poise as they finished the regular season in first place. However, they would fall in the first round of the conference tournament in a 3-1 loss to the Tiffin Dragons.

The Eagles then went on to fall to Ferris State, 3-1, in the opening round of the NCAA Division II Postseason Tournament.

After the team’s two defeats to finish the season, the athletic program announced that Head Coach Kevin Foeman would be leaving the team for a step up in divisions by joining D-I Eastern Michigan. In replacement, the team brought in former Ohio Northern Head Coach Katie Kuhn.

Kuhn was given high praise by the conference as the Eagles were given eight votes to finish in first place to go alongside 81 total points.

The next closest point total for the Eagles came from the Chargers as they were given 89 points in the North Division. Just behind the Eagles were the Findlay Oilers and Cedarville Yellowjackets with 8o points a piece.

The Eagles will kick off the season against New Haven in the opening contest of the Ashland University Tournament at 1 p.m. in Kates Gymnasium.