Reigning GMAC women’s soccer champs receive first place votes

The Eagles finished second in the conference in the 2022 season, but took home a conference championship
Ashland University Athletics
Head Coach Cayleb Paulino talks to his team.

The Ashland University women’s soccer team has spent the 2023 off-season in preparation for an exciting coming season.

The Eagles, who took home a conference championship for the second straight season, are poised to bring a three-peat back to Ashland when all is said and done in the 2023 fall. In the most recent Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC) preseason poll, the Eagles were recognized to finish first in the conference.

In the previous season, the Eagles dominated conference play with a record of 11-1-2, with the team’s one loss coming against the Cedarville Yellowjackets which they then downed in the conference championship. The team’s two draws came against The University of Findlay and Northwood University, two teams who also qualified for the conference tournament.

With the Eagles playing so well and finding themselves in the NCAA Division II Postseason Tournament last season, the conference took note in the most recent preseason poll as the favorites to once again win the conference.

The Eagles took home 11 out of 13 possible first-place votes and 156 total voting points.

Behind the Eagles were the Yellowjackets who took home the remaining two first-place votes and a total of 147 points. The third-place team was Findlay who brought in 131 total points.

While the Eagles will first focus on non-conference play as they kick off the season against Grand Valley State on Thursday, August 31 at 8 p.m., they will soon focus on conference play where they take on Malone to kick of Great Midwest play.