Student Senate holds Speak-Up session

Halee Heironimus

Students and faculty of Ashland University gathered in the Student Center Auditorium on Monday night to discuss issues and questions that students on campus may have.

Only being his second day on the job, new AU Provost En-Woo Chang was immediately questioned about what his goals and expectations are for the university.

One of his key points was to assess the university and find the best structure for the institution and for students. Chang believes this will help develop a better environment for the students and faculty.

Another goal of Chang’s is to increase AU’s globalization through recruitment of more International students, or to expand the study abroad program, in hopes to increase the retention rate and allow AU students to have experiences past the U.S. borders.

“One thing I really want to see is that this university becomes a global leader,” said Chang. “[And] I want to see our graduates become big leaders.”

The biggest concern amongst Student Senate members, though, is the university’s image following previous decisions, based off of the budget and faculty cuts, which were made within the last year.

President Carlos Campo noted that some of the decisions he had to make were the hardest ones in the last 25 years as an administrator, but unfortunately, that’s what needed to be done at the time. Although, with the collaborative effort of faculty across all departments, Campo believes it will help the university move forward.

“We did need to come together and make those changes,” said Campo. “Now we come together and ask ‘Who Are We?’ I think Ashland Rising 2020 is a good representation is how we’re moving forward.”

The Office of Admissions also has the opportunity to help improve the university’s image by differentiating Ashland from other colleges and universities.

Scott Van Loo, vice president of Enrollment Management and Marketing, mentioned how the admissions team is open to feedback and in the works of improving recruitment techniques.

“We’re always looking at better things we can do when recruiting students like talking about the differentiating qualities about AU,” said Van Loo.

Ivan Larson mentioned the proposal of Honors College. The honors college has the potential to highlight the strength of a program that’s already been in place (i.e. Ashbrook).

“We feel it paints a bright picture of what the college could be on this campus,” said Campo. “We have high hopes for it.”

Campo mentioned that the college is planned to launch in the Fall 2017.

Sean Honaker, senior student in the Journalism and Digital Media department, addressed programs, specifically JDM’s, that need assistance after losing a significant number of faculty members.

“It’s an area that needs review,” said Campo. “We’re still reviewing and discussing the program. I think it’s more of how we improve the faculty situation and how do we bring in friends to help improve the program.”

By friends, Campo means connecting with alumni, for example, Robin Meade, who could become potential donors. Campo and Chang hope that the administration can work in a collaborative effort with all departments who are dealing with difficult issues, such as the loss of faculty.

“I’m confident that we can resolve this one [issue] in a significant amount of time,” said Chang.

Sophomore Logan Rex addressed his question to Rick Ewing, Director of Facilities Management and Planning, regarding the upcoming projects related to facilities.

Ewing noted the cosmetic renovations in Kilhefner Hall, including its transition to singles, the continuation of updating Meyers Hall restrooms, upgrading the elevator in Amstutz Hall, landscaping, sidewalks and parking lot refinishing.

Overall, the university is looking to spend $1.5 million on the projects.

Other topics from the evening included communication amongst the IT Department with other departments, Residence Life housing and rules, enhancing “Accent on the Individual” and increasing donor relationships.

With sessions like the Speak-Up, Campo believes the phenomenal student body can help lead the university to excellence.