Former Eagle safety Justin Moore sets sights on the NFL

Moore looks to be the second Eagle to join the NFL this offseason

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

Ashland University’s 2022-23 football team already had one player take their talents to the National Football League (NFL), Michael Ayers, and now defensive counterpart Justin Moore is attempting to follow alongside him.

Moore, who impressed in his senior season with the Eagles, has his eyes set on becoming the next AU alumnus to play in an NFL regular season game. Currently, that all-time number sits at just nine individuals.

“This would be more than a dream come true. This would mean more than just playing a game to me,” said Moore. “It would be a statement to people who are close to me or that know me that anything is possible if you have the right mindset, work ethic, and most importantly faith.”

While it is no tough task to play at the highest stage of them all, the Division II product stood out in his senior campaign recording 33 solo tackles, 23 assisted tackles, three tackles for a loss, one sack and one interception. Prior to his senior season, he tacked on 117 tackles and five interceptions through his sophomore and junior years.

After finishing his final season with the Eagles, he partook in the University’s Pro Day in an attempt to showcase NFL scouts what he can offer.

“In December I had surgery on my shoulder that affected my opportunities to get in bowl games and even had effects on my pro day performance,” he said. “While I had my brace I continued to do what I could with exercises just to stay conditioned. I try not to use my shoulder as a gateway to my average pro day numbers but I’m happy with what I did accomplish.”

Even though he’s been held back by the surgery on his shoulder, Moore has reiterated that it will not slow down or hinder his efforts in making it to the league.

“This experience has been filled with adversity but also very positive because I have faith in God’s plan and my work ethic,” he said. “The support from family, friends, and teammates has been great. They all have been doing everything to keep me positive and motivated through this process.”

He officially announced on social media that he would be declaring for the NFL Draft earlier this spring on January 16, but would go undrafted in April. Although he’s not received a call just yet he remains in pursuit of finding his way onto a team in the offseason.

Most recently, NFL insider Tanner Phifer highlighted Moore as a standout free agent with a good build for a safety.

“Standing at 5’10”, 204 Lbs, Moore is a great defender with a solid 4.64 40-yard dash,” said Phifer. “He carries his weight well and recorded 189 career tackles, 5 TFL, 6 INTs, 17 PDs, and 1 FR, in only 41 games.”

With his eyes set on the big leagues, he looks to stay in peak form while he waits for a team to give him the opportunity to show what he has to offer.

“Moving forward I’m going to continue to stay in the best shape possible and stay ready for a call,” he said. “This is also a transition into being an adult so it’s teaching me how to make new connections with people which may help in my career after football.”