Student Town Hall a bust?

Low turnout at the student town hall, with about 15 students in attendance

Katelyn Meeks

Student Town Hall attendance reported to be low.

The Ashland University administration held a town hall meeting Monday, April 17 directed to the student body on a variety of topics ranging from academics to facilities to dining service.

AU president Dr. Carlos Campo welcomed all in attendance to the student town hall meeting and said the administration decided to hold the student town hall because of feedback that the student body wanted to be aware of what was going on in changes to certain areas.

Provost Dr. Amiel Jarstfer addressed different changes in the area of academics.

Jarstfer announced that the College of Business and Economics has a new dean. It is currently interim dean, Dan Fox, who was selected to fill the position after a national search.

“Dan Fox is the person that was highly recommended through our search process,” said Jarstfer.

He continued that a national search had been conducted for a new library director, and there would be an announcement soon on who will fill that position.

There are several ongoing faculty searches, according to Jarstfer, including positions in criminal justice, finance, social work, religion, cybersecurity, and biology.

All the searches are in different stages, he said.
Jarster made a few important announcements, including filling out the class evaluations that come to students’ emails; the Honors Convocation is Sunday, April 23 at 2 p.m. in the Upper Chapel, and the library will be extended opening hours during finals week for students to study, and graduation for the Class of 2023 is on May 6 in the Niss Center.

Keith Ramsdell, vice president of enrollment management and marketing, spoke on what his team has been working on and AU’s enrollment.

Ramsdell mentioned the campus ESP app is used by AU parents to connect with one another and reach out with any questions or concerns, with which students at the town hall were unfamiliar.

The app was launched about a year and a half ago and is for parents of students at AU.

“We started with parents of prospective students, admitted students, and pre-enrolled students so that parents could communicate with each other,” said Ramsdell.

Ramsdell emphasized that the app has been a giant success and has helped with student recruitment.

The next point was about high school students in college, which is the Credit Plus Program (CCP).

A new program is starting called Talent Track, which will work to create closer connections with high schools.

Ashland High School is the pilot school for the program and the AU Career Center for Life Calling is working with this program.

One of final points that Ramsdell mentioned that deposits for the incoming freshmen class were up 46.5% from last year.

Rick Ewing, vice president of facilities and planning, addressed the student body on what facilities in doing around campus.

The main point Ewing addressed was the library cafe, which he stated was to be complete by the time students return back from classes, and that a few new additions will be added to the library.

“We’re going to bring the writing and communication center [from] Bixler over into the library,” said Ewing. “We’re also going to add an IT help desk.”

A few of area around campus that will be receiving improvements are the USA house with new flooring and paint, Lot I where KD’s Pizza was located will be paved, and new directional signage will be placed around campus.

The meal plans were one of the final topics of conversation, and will not be implemented next year. The administration will continue to listen to students’ suggestion to improve the meal plans and in talks on what to do.

A Q&A session took place after with Cara McKeown asking about the renaming of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.

This is currently in the works and students will meet with Campo on this matter to discuss the situation.

Once decided on a new name, it will be announced to all of AU, but there is concern on whether it will take meaning away from the purpose of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.

“It’s, one, us to ensure that… once the name is decided, and getting the word out, and I mean more broadly, so that employers and other know we think this is an important and powerful distinctive,” stated Campo.

Campo also mentioned that “almost no one” at Ashland University believes that diversity is not essential.

Campo closed out the student town hall with potential new sports team being added. A few of the sports he listed were women’s wrestling, women’s triathlon, and bowling.

The recording of the student town hall will be posted soon for any students who could not make it.

If anyone has questions on the matters in the university, they are encouraged to reach out to the President’s Office at [email protected] or Dr. Aaron Ross at [email protected].

Also, Campo mentioned contacting The Collegian with questions since it meets with him every other week.

Contact The Collegian at [email protected] or New Editor, Katelyn Meeks, at [email protected].